Professor | Computer Networks | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE
Updated: 10 Oct 2023
Are you curious to develop smart, sustainable and secure network solutions for large-scale ICT infrastructures, Digital Twining, Smart Cities and Smart Industry? Eager to enable high-throughput data processing as it is required in high-performance edge and cloud computing? Eager to see whether we are indeed protecting the computer networks we should care about most?
If you see yourself making an impact in any of these areas – or you have other interesting computer network related topics to bring to the table – you should consider joining our Department of Advanced Computing Sciences (DACS) as a Professor in Computer Networks. DACS is an international community of ~100 researchers at various stages of their career, embedded in the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE). Our department has more than 30 years’ experience with research and teaching in the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics.
What are you going to do?
To strengthen our new research initiatives on computer networks, we are looking for a full professor that strengthens and fosters our research activities on designing, studying, and implementing smart distributed cyber-physical systems, large-scale ICT infrastructures including those at CERN or ETpathfinder. Maastricht University uses its research in these areas to boost high-performance artificial intelligence and data processing. This research enables high-throughput data processing as it is required in edge and cloud computing applications that process large amounts of data such as generated in biomedical applications, physics, and robotics. The research at Maastricht University further facilitates the integration of emerging AI solutions into smart networked solutions for the Internet of Things and Smart Industries. Novel AI and data processing applications become possible through research on distributed data processing and artificial intelligence as well as through research on self-organising multi-agent, networked embedded and distributed cyber-physical systems.
As our new colleague, you will expand the DACS research activities on emerging computing technologies and connect your expertise with the existing research at our offices in Maastricht and at the Brightlands Smart Services Campus in Heerlen. Our research activities span the entire spectrum from curiosity-driven research to responsible societal applications, often taking on an interdisciplinary character. Contributions to areas such as multi-agent systems, (medical) signal and image processing, FAIR principles, game theory, intelligent search techniques and affective computing are internationally recognized. What makes our research so interesting is that DACS maintains an industry network with over 80 private collaborators ranging from local SMEs to large multinationals. The department designs and develops data-driven solutions for a wide variety of business applications in sectors including transport and logistics, healthcare, and production and manufacturing. This why you can contribute to science and our society of tomorrow!
In addition to your research, you will contribute to our top-rated education. Our department offers one bachelor’s program and two master programs, all of which are nationally ranked among the top of their kind and involve Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. In September 2023, we will also launch a new bachelor in Computer Science. You will have an important voice in developing our education programs.
Who are you?
We seek a colleague who is passionate about research and who enjoys teaching. You feel at home in a strongly international and diverse community like ours. Furthermore, we are looking to welcome someone who fosters collaboration at all levels.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A PhD degree in Computer Networks, Computer Science or a strongly related field;
- Experience in mentoring and growing a team of junior researchers;
- Graduated several PhD students in the field of Computer Networks;
- A strong and consistent track record in research and teaching;
- Proven track record in funding acquisition at national and European level;
- Has a strong track record in team science;
As a Professor at the Faculty of Science and Engineering, you will be employed by the most international university of the Netherlands, located in the beautiful city of Maastricht. In addition, we offer you:
- Good employment conditions. The position is in grated in scale H2 according to the UFO profile Professor, function level 2 with corresponding salary ranging from € 6.648 to € 9.680 gross per month (based on a full-time employment of 38 hours per week). In addition to the monthly salary, an 8.0% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus are applicable.
- An employment contract for a period of 18 months with a scope of 1.0 FTE. If proven suitable, the employment contract will be converted into an indefinite contract.
- A tailor-made start-up package.
- As Family-friendly University, we offer flexible working hours and the possibility to work partly from home if the nature of your position allows it. You will receive a monthly commuting and internet allowance for this. If you work full-time, you will be entitled to 29 vacation days and 4 additional public holidays per year, namely carnival Monday, carnival Tuesday, Good Friday, and Liberation Day. If you choose to accumulate compensation hours, an additional 12 days will be added. Furthermore, you can personalize your employment conditions through a collective labor agreement (CAO) choice model.
- As Maastricht University, we offer various other excellent secondary employment conditions. These include a good pension scheme with the ABP and the opportunity for UM employees to participate in company fitness and make use of the extensive sports facilities that we also offer to our students.
- Applicants from outside The Netherlands may be eligible for the so-called 30% ruling, a tax cut for highly skilled migrants that applies for a maximum of five years. If you are moving to Maastricht from more than 40 kilometers away, you may qualify for a one-time reimbursement of your relocation costs
- Last but certainly not least, we provide the space and facilities for your personal and professional development. We facilitate this by offering a wide range of training programs and supporting various well-established initiatives such as 'acknowledge and appreciate'.
The terms of employment at Maastricht University are largely set out in the Collective Bargaining Agreement of Dutch Universities. In addition, local provisions specific to UM apply. For more information, Click here
38 hours per week
Paul-Henri Spaaklaan 1