Post-Doctoral Researcher position in direct air capture of CO2
Updated: 16 Jan 2023
We, the Thermal Engineering Laboratory (TE), have an open postdoctoral position available in the research domain of CO2 capture from ambient air. The job includes the design, development, and testing of a novel, solid sorbent-based direct air capture reactor which is suitable for a medium-scale DAC system relevant to the Coca Cola European Partners (CCEP) production process. It captures CO2 from the ambient air and releases it as a CO2-rich gas for applications such as carbonated soft drinks.
Project aim and description:
You will perform the development, modeling, and experimental testing of a novel system for CO2 capture from ambient air for the CCEP production processes. Your research will include both the development and testing of a CO2 sorbent material and the development of a CO2 capture reactor at the lab scale. Furthermore, you will develop the complete DAC system including efficient heat management, and perform a techno-economic analysis. You will also be responsible for reporting and interaction with the CCEP team as well.
Your first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire experience in supervising MSc students.
- We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and self-driven researcher.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Process Technology, Chemical Engineering, Physics, or other relevant science, engineering, or technology subject area.
- Proven experience in CO2 capture processes with a preference for solid sorbents.
- You have expertise in the system-level development of chemical/energy processes.
- You have skills in modeling, experimental research, and techno-economics.
- You think independently, develop creative and original work, and are a problem solver with excellent analytical and communication skills.
- You want to work in international and multi-disciplinary environments.
- You are proficient in English, both speaking and writing.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books.
- You will mainly work on research and will be engaged in developing research project proposals. You may also be engaged in teaching activities (not the main duty). You will have the possibility to extend your network
- Interesting temporary research position in a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance.
- Excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community. The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include:
- You will be appointed to a temporary full-time Postdoc position for two years.
- Gross salary between € 2.960,- and € 4.670,- per month depending on experience and qualifications;
- Excellent benefits include a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a year-end bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme.
- You can make use of excellent facilities for professional and personal development and a training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision.
- You will receive good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labor agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers, and other university staff.
40 hours per week