Post-Master PDEng position on Axial Flux Motor Design
Updated: 24 Jun 2021
Research / Academic
Eindhoven University of Technology has a vacancy for aPost-Master PDEng position on Axial Flux Motor Designin the EPE group, department of Electrical Engineering.The ICT post-master designer program is a two-year salaried program in the field of technological design in Electrical Engineering. The program leads to a Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng) degree.Project descriptione-Traction Europe B.V. develops a unique electric in-wheel powertrain technology that offers the essence of pure direct drive power for heavy- and light-duty automotive applications such as city buses, urban distribution vehicles, airport modalities and SUVs. These vehicles are propelled by TheWheel®, a direct-drive in-wheel motor system that integrates a permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) with power electronics and fluid cooling into a wheel.e-Traction is constantly on the lookout for opportunities to make this product more robust, more efficient, and more powerful.Currently, radial-flux electric motors are the most commonly used motors for electric vehicles for their high torque densities. Nevertheless, axial-flux electric motors offer an alternative structure that may be beneficial for certain electric power trains in which the axial length of the motor is strictly constrained, while a relatively large diameter is allowed. Therefore, this project is aimed at a preliminary design of an axial-flux motor (AFM) for a specific electric powertrain, followed by a discussion on the feasibility and trade-offs of using AFMs in such applications in comparison to radial-flux motors (RFMs). e-Traction is looking for an PDEng candidate to design an AFM for automotive applications.Within this PDEng project, the PDEng candidate needs to design an AFM for automotive applications. The motor(s) will be manufactured by e-Traction, and tested in the laboratories of Electromechanics and Power Electronics (EPE) group and e-Traction Europe B.V. In the end, PDEng candidate will report the results and compare the results with the state of the art.About the EPE groupEindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a world-leading research university specializing in engineering science & technology. The Department of Electrical Engineering is responsible for research and education in Electrical Engineering. The discipline covers technologies and electrical phenomena involved in computer engineering, information processing, energy transfer and telecommunication. The department strives for societal relevance through an emphasis on the fields of smart sustainable systems, the connected world and care & cure. The TU/e is the world's best-performing research university in terms of research cooperation with industry(#1 since 2009).The EPE group consists of 2 full professors, 10 associate and assistant professors, several postdocs, about 30 PDEng and PhD candidates and support staff. The EPE group is world-renowned for 6-DoF planar motors and levitated stages, wireless energy transfer concepts, tubular actuation concepts, and high-precision power electronics. The main focus areas of the EPE group are applied and fundamental research in the clusters of high-precision technology, automotive, medical, renewable energy and grids.About e-Tractione-Traction is the world leader in direct-drive in-wheel motor solutions, with revenues of more than five million USD and approximately 40 employees globally. Our mission is to create the most efficient electric drive train solutions that will minimize the impact on our environment and natural resources, improve quality of life in urban areas and become an economically attractive alternative at the same time (https://www.e-traction.com/).
Requirements:We are looking for candidates that match the following profile: (adapt to wishes)
- have a MSc degree in electrical engineering or any other relevant program.
- have theoretical and applied knowledge of electrical machine design
- have experience with 2D and 3D CAD electromagnetic design (e.g. ANSYS)
- have solid skills in MATLAB programming.
- have excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken).
- be a flexible team player, actively helping other team members, and see changes as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- be a quick learner, able to and interested in acquiring new skills and competences.
- show a hands-on attitude, taking responsibility for the process from specification to implementation and validation, including communication and alignment with peers.
Salary Benefits:We offer a fixed-term, 2-year position in a research group with an excellent reputation. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, including:
- A gross monthly salary of € 1.970,-
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- A minimum of 41 holidays per year (excluding bank holidays, for a full-time employment of 40 hrs/week)
- Additional benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, child care, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- To support you during your PDEng and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PDEng trainees.
- Assistance for finding accommodation is offered.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care, excellent technical infrastructure, holiday savings schemes and sports facilities.
38 hours per week
De Rondom 70