PhD Candidate | School Care and Public Health Research Institute (CAPHRI) | Department of Epidemiology | 1.0 FTE
Updated: 20 Sep 2023
You will be working on an international EU funded project on strengthening research integrity and open science in several East and Sub Saharan countries. You will contribute towards designing, implementing and analyzing data across the different work packages in this project utilizing both quantitative and qualitative research methods and lead in the publication of research findings from the project. You will be involved in stakeholder engagement and advocacy of the project findings in the African region as well as at international scientific conferences. You will provide administrative support to the day-to-day running and reporting of the project to the Project Coordinator.
You will also have maximum one day (0.2 fte) to support and further develop Maastricht University’s Research Ethics and Integrity Platform (UM PREI). In this role, you will combine administrative tasks (such as organizing meetings, minute taking, event organization) with tasks such as assisting in reviewing project proposals, preparing policy reports and managing activities related to the Platform. You may occasionally also be required to teach in some related courses in the Department of Epidemiology.
- Masters degree in Epidemiology, Public Health or a similar field.
- 1-3 years hands-on experience in a research setting using quantitative (survey, systematic reviews) and qualitative (interviews, focus groups) research methods.
- Proactive, self-starter.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).\
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings, preferably in the Global South context.
- Meticulous and detail oriented.
- Open to international travel 20-30% of your time.
Nice to have:
- Fluent in Dutch, or the willingness to learn it.
- Knowledge of Swahili.
- Experience in writing scientific publications and related reports.
- Experience in using research analyses software such as MAXQDA, NVIVO and/or R.
- Experience in clinical trials research.
As a PhD at the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, you will be employed by the most international university of the Netherlands, located in the beautiful city of Maastricht.
In addition, we offer you:
- Good employment conditions. The position is in grated in PhD scale according with corresponding salary ranging from € 2,770 to € 3,539 gross per month (based on a full-time employment of 38 hours per week). In addition to the monthly salary, an 8.0% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus are applicable.
- An employment contract for a period of 12 months with a scope of 1.0 FTE. Upon a positive evaluation, an extension of 3 years will follow.
- As University, we offer flexible working hours and the possibility to work partly from home if the nature of your position allows it. You will receive a monthly commuting and internet allowance for this. If you work full-time, you will be entitled to 29 vacation days and 4 additional public holidays per year, namely carnival Monday, carnival Tuesday, Good Friday, and Liberation Day. If you choose to accumulate compensation hours, an additional 12 days will be added. Furthermore, you can personalize your employment conditions through a collective labor agreement (CAO) choice model.
- As Maastricht University, we offer various other excellent secondary employment conditions. These include a good pension scheme with the ABP and the opportunity for UM employees to participate in company fitness and make use of the extensive sports facilities that we also offer to our students.
- Last but certainly not least, we provide the space and facilities for your personal and professional development. We facilitate this by offering a wide range of training programs and supporting various well-established initiatives such as 'acknowledge and appreciate'.
The terms of employment at Maastricht University are largely set out in the Collective Bargaining Agreement of Dutch Universities. In addition, local provisions specific to UM apply. For more information, Click here
38 hours per week
P. Debyeplein 1