Associate professor in Media Studies
Updated: 24 Jan 2020
The Faculty of Humanities has a vacancy for an Associate professor in Media Studies.
The ideal candidate will have an outstanding teaching and research profile in one of the subfields of Media Studies, including but not limited to the areas mentioned above. The candidate will be able to teach introductory courses in one of our BA programs (Media & Culture or Media & Information), as well as more specialized courses at the MA level. The candidate's research will be situated within the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis, which is dedicated to the comparative and interdisciplinary study of contemporary culture (in all its forms and expressions) from a broad humanities perspective. The candidate's research vision should preferably connect to one or more of ASCA's research constellations (Mediality, Arts & Aesthetics, Globalization and Migration, Identities, Cultural & Social Critique), and to the university-wide Global Digital Cultures Research Priority Area, with possible foci including but not limited to regional and local media cultures, media & migration, international media production cultures, global and local fan and user communities, or materialities of global media.
- PhD in the field of Media Studies or other relevant field;
- outstanding experience in research and outstanding research skills, evidenced by publications in international, refereed academic journals and academic books;
- experience with writing research projects through government funding bodies, non-governmental foundations and/or the private sector;
- proven affinity with interdisciplinary research within and beyond the humanities;
- at least twelve years of teaching experience at various levels of university education; demonstrable didactic abilities and/or training, evidenced by a teaching portfolio;
- experience in an academic position where research and teaching are combined on a senior level;
- experience with new methods of teaching (especially the use of digital technology and electronic learning environments); sound knowledge of ICT developments in the field;
- willingness to develop in an interdisciplinary capacity in order to be able to participate in multiple areas of the Faculty's curriculum;
- capable of functioning at all levels in more than one programme of study;
- experience in supervising PhD research;
- proven leadership qualities; experience in administration, organisation and coordination of university education and research; must be prepared to take on administrative roles;
- enthusiasm, an interdisciplinary attitude, a strong team spirit and the ability to motivate team members;
- flexibility, readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation and multidisciplinary development;
- thorough knowledge of Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers must achieve an active and passive command of Dutch within two years.
The contract will be for 38 hours a week. The initial contract will be two years. Depending on teaching evaluations and professional assessment, tenure will be granted after two years. The gross monthly salary will range from €5,039 (scale 13) to €6,738 (scale 14), based on a full-time contract (38 hours a week). The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (Cao) is applicable.
38 hours per week