Assistant/Associate Professor in Molecular or Structural Microbiology
Updated: 13 Sep 2023
As an Assistant or Associate Professor in Molecular or Structural Microbiology, you are part of the Molecular Microbiology section at the VU. You further strengthen the team that has a current expertise in Molecular and Medical Microbiology. Together with the Systems Biology, Ecology and Environmental Health sections, we form a new department, called A-LIFE (https://a-life-vu.nl/).
More than in a specific research topic, we are interested in your capacities to build an independent research program. We offer you the opportunity to define your research focus yourself, which could be linked to the current themes in the section (https://a-life-vu.nl/molecular-microbiology/), at the interface between these different themes or represent a completely novel line of research. Potential focus areas include Structural Biology, Microbial Genetics, Cell Biology, Microbial Evolution, Host-Pathogen Relationships, Bacterial Communities, Biotechnology and Antimicrobials. Potential connections with the broader interest areas within the A-LIFE department are welcomed but not mandatory.
In addition, you play a role in educational programs such as the BSc programs Biology and Biomedical Sciences, and the MSc programs Biomolecular Sciences and Biomedical sciences.
- you build an independent research program in the field of Molecular or Structural Microbiology
- you teach in the relevant BSc and MSc programs
- you acquire and manage national and international research grants with academic, industrial and/or governmental partners
- you produce output in well-respected journals
- you perform managerial tasks for the department
- you play an active role in national and international research platforms
- you hold a PhD degree and have a strong track record in your field of interest. You have well-cited publications in top-10 peer reviewed journals in Microbiology/Structural Biology, and/or relevant experience gained from research within industry
- you have a proven ability to acquire research funding (NWO, EU)
- you have demonstrable skills in collaboration, innovation, and preferably valorisation
- you have experience with supervising, motivating, and coaching of PhD and MSc students
- you are an inspiring teacher, preferably with a track record in undergraduate and/or graduate teaching programs
- you have a University Teaching Qualification ('BKO'). If not, you are willing to obtain this within two years after your appointment
- you are fluent in English. If you do not speak Dutch yet, you are willing to learn the language
A challenging position in a socially involved organization.
You will be appointed as Assistant or Associate Professor, depending on your seniority.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary for an Assistant Professor of €3,974 (scale 11) and a maximum of €6,181 (scale 12) and for an Associate Professor minimum €5.506 and maximum €7,362 (scale 14), depending on your experience.
The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least
The initial employment contract will be for a period of 1 year, but after a positive evaluation and proven suitability, a permanent contract will be given.
Your new research group will be supported by a generous start-up package. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- good paid parental leave scheme
- contribution to commuting expenses
30.4 - 38 hours per week
De Boelelaan 1105