Assistant Professor of Metaphysics and Philosophical Anthropology
Updated: 08 Oct 2023
Recently, the Dutch government invested in academic research by means of three sector plans for the Social Sciences and Humanities on the themes of (i) Human AI, (ii) Cultural and religious heritage and (iii) Migrant inclusion and wellbeing. The current position is part of the theme 'Cultural and religious heritage'.
You will be a member of a department whose primary goals are to offer education and conduct research in the fields of metaphysics and philosophical anthropology, with a specific research focus on questions related to cultural heritage and continental philosophy.
You will teach courses at all levels in the Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes in Philosophy, as well as in study programmes offered at other faculties. You will primarily teach in the fields of metaphysics and philosophical anthropology. You may also be required to teach other disciplines in philosophy as well as philosophy courses for students with a non-philosophy major. Your duties will also include individual supervision and tutoring of students (e.g. students who are writing their Bachelor's or Master's theses or taking the Research Master's programme). Furthermore, you will be involved in the development of the educational programme.
Your research is devoted to questions concerning cultural heritage and how it impacts identity formation, sense-making and diversity. Your research profile fits with the Center for Contemporary European Philosophy and its emphasis on continental philosophy. The Center is a very cohesive research unit, whose members share their research in work-in-progress meetings and co-teach, co-publish and co-organise conferences. Besides collaborating with your fellow researchers, you will be involved in further developing the Center's research line and acquiring externally funded research projects.
- You have a PhD in contemporary European (continental) philosophy.
- You are knowledgeable in the domains of metaphysics and philosophical anthropology and well-acquainted with the continental philosophical tradition.
- You are a dedicated teacher and have university teaching experience in philosophy (preferably possessing a University Teaching Qualification (BKO) or a similar qualification, otherwise you will be asked to obtain this qualification within two years).
- You are a highly competent researcher, and this is reflected in your publication record, which will be appropriate to your career stage.
- You are either proficient in Dutch (C2 level) and English (C1 level) or will endeavour to achieve these levels of proficiency within two to four years.
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €4,332 and a maximum of €5,929 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 18 months with the possibility of a permanent employment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
32 hours per week