Assistant Professor Humane by Design/Creative Technology
Updated: 22 Sep 2023
We are seeking a colleague who can contribute to the development of Creative Technology at VU, including the new specialization module ‘Humane by Design’, planned for the second year. CreaTe provides education in English in this Bachelor of Science programme at Vrije Universiteit. Our research and teaching are linked to current socially relevant themes around Human-Centered Design, Design Anthropology, as well as Digital and Environmental Humanities. We expect the candidate to bring to this field practical expertise in design practice and thinking, knowledge of current developments in the field of design and technology, combined with an interest in humanities approaches to science, (digital) technology (including programming, Human interaction and AI), and can participate in an interdisciplinary, international academic network that enriches our approach to both science and humanities.
- create a stimulating educational environment for students in the Creative Technology programme
- conduct innovative research (within the interfaculty research institute CLUE+ or the Network Institute) and publish in relevant national and international scientific journals
- work together with colleagues of CreaTe at both Twente and VU on the ongoing development of the educational programme of CreaTe@VU
- be active in the application and acquisition of external research grants, both individually and in cooperation with colleagues
- a completed PhD in the field of Design Cultures, Digital Humanities, Science and Technology Studies (STS), or similar
- research output appropriate to the level of the position
- broad and relevant teaching experience at a bachelor level. In possession of the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO/GTQ), or willing to obtain it within the foreseeable future
- excellent command of English, command of Dutch is recommended. Support is available to International candidates
- extensive knowledge of Design practice and developments in Science and Technology Studies
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 18 months. After 15 months your performance will be evaluated in terms of quality of teaching, publication record, attempts to acquire research funding either individually or in consortia, academic service and valorisation.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €4,332 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,929 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
38 hours per week
De Boelelaan 1105