Assistant professor (tenure track) or Associate professor in Artificial Intelligence
Updated: 24 Jun 2019
Are you a passionate teacher and excellent researcher doing fundamental research on Artificial Intelligence? Do you have the ability to bridge symbolic and sub-symbolic methods used within AI? Does your area of specialisation in AI fit with ILLC’s research on formal methods in the study of information, and also complement its existing expertise? We have a preference for candidates whose research is not well-represented by current ILLC staff. Our ideal candidate will help us build up new research in one or more of the following areas:
- AI and Multi-Agent Systems (including Algorithmic Game Theory)
- AI and Cognitive Science (including Cognitive Modelling)
- AI and Decision making (including Planning)
What are you going to do?
You will be expected to fulfil the following tasks, taking into account the current general research:teaching 60:40 ratio applicable at the ILLC:
- develop an independent line of research in your area of expertise, resulting in contributions published in leading international venues;
- build-up and coordinate a research-team and supervise PhD candidates;
- teach and develop teaching activities in the field of AI. Relevant programmes include: BSc Artificial Intelligence, MSc Artificial Intelligence, MSc Logic, MSc Brain & Cognitive Sciences;
- (co-)supervise Bachelor's and Master's students;
- initiate and contribute to proposals for raising substantial external funding;
- contribute to research valorisation and outreach activities;
- contribute significantly to management tasks in education and research at the institute.
- a relevant PhD degree (e.g. in AI, Logic, Mathematics, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Philosophy);
- excellent research skills, evidenced by a track record of publications in renowned international conferences and journals, and contributed and/or invited lectures at international conferences/workshops;
- a strong background, experience and expertise in research in the foundations of AI, in an area that complements existing ILLC expertise;
- an interest in combining symbolic and sub-symbolic approaches in AI research;
- experience in at least two different institutes/universities/industry, preferably in different countries;
- teaching experience at university level and demonstrable didactic abilities;
- ideally some experience with (co-)supervision of BA/BSc, MA/MSc and/or PhD students;
- (the ability to develop) the management skills required for general academic administration, organization and coordination tasks;
- team spirit and a strong affinity with the ILLC’s multidisciplinary environment as well as readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation;
- excellent communication and social skills;
- an excellent command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language.
*If assistant professor is your entry level, we will offer you a tenure track agreement for five years (which is part of a six-year temporary appointment). At the start, we will draw up an agreement with you, specifying the tenure-track requirements for research, teaching and management tasks that need to be fulfilled in order to assess progress after three years and after five years. The requirements in this agreement are negotiable and depend on your experience and scientific profile. After a positive assessment at five years, the appointment will become permanent.
* For internal candidates a different arrangement can be made.
* For more senior applicants who have the necessary qualifications, including evidence of academic leadership as well as substantial fund acquisition, we can offer an appointment at associate professor level. In this case you will initially be offered a temporary appointment of two years that will be extended to a permanent employment contract after a positive assessment.
Your full-time gross monthly salary would be between €3,637 and €6,738 gross per month, depending on the level of the position offered and your experience (salary scale 11, 12 for assistant, 13 or 14 for associate level). The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable. The annual salary will be supplemented with 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 % end-of-year bonus.
The position will come with an ILLC start-up package consisting of:
- a 4-year PhD position in the area of expertise of the selected candidate;
- outstanding scientific guidance and regular monitoring of progress by a mentor;
- coaching and training opportunities to further your academic career in science
- possibilities for a flexible work schedule;
- help in finding appropriate housing;
- reimbursement package for relocation;
- made-to-measure Dutch language course.
NB: the starting date for this position is no later than March/April 2020.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look at our website.
38 hours per week