Postdoctoral Researcher: Interdisciplinary Research Project on Persuasion and Manipulation in Digital Contexts
Updated: 04 Oct 2023
How do smart technologies influence us in online settings, and should we worry about this? In this project you will analyse persuasion and manipulation in digital contexts as part of an interdisciplinary research team.
Smart technologies influence and 'nudge' human behaviour in ways that users are unaware of, for example when they use ChatGPT without knowing what sources the information is based on, or when they are not aware of the algorithms that underlie recommender systems used by, for example, YouTube or Amazon. In most cases, smart technologies are developed to make users' life easier, by doing much of the information searching and filtering for the user. The potential downside of the ease of use of these technologies is, however, that citizens increasingly use information without reflecting on its accuracy or representativeness, because they are no longer required to think. This could represent a danger for information ecosystems and modern democracy, for example by making citizens vulnerable to filter bubbles, micro-targeting and fake news about societally relevant themes, and by making them lose sight of, and interest in, the distinction between what is real and what is not. They might assume, for example, that if nobody can discern the difference between verified and unverified information, this difference is trivial. In this project you will join forces with iHub, Radboud’s interdisciplinary hub for research on digitalisation and society and the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) to explore these, and related, questions. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team that seeks to better understand current information ecosystems and conceive of interventions to counter pernicious persuasion and manipulation in digital contexts.
In your postdoctoral project, you will be offered the opportunity to further develop and test your own line of research on manipulation and algorithmic persuasion. You will present the research outcomes at national and international conferences, and you will write articles for international journals.
- You have a PhD in Linguistics and/or Communication Science, Computational Communication Science, or Computer Science.
- You have proven expertise in a relevant research domain, such as algorithmic persuasion, misinformation, online influence, recommender systems or filter bubbles, as evidenced by publications and conference presentations.
- You have an excellent research track record, as evidenced by publications, conference presentations and academic service.
- You have good writing skills in English and preferably also in Dutch.
- You have affinity with interdisciplinary research and you are able to communicate with experts from different disciplines.
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €4,332 and a maximum of €5,929 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 2 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.