Tenure track faculty position in quantum computing and machine learning
Updated: 09 Sep 2021
-the development and application of quantum algorithms to problems in computer science, physics and chemistry, and
-through the development and application of machine learning and AI methods to address the challenges of quantum information and quantum physics.
We offer a tenure track appointment as assistant professor that upon successful performance will lead to promotion to a tenured position as associate professor and upon continued growth to promotion to full professor. (In exceptional cases, initial appointment at a higher level is possible.) We offer a clear and inviting career path, support in the development of your personal and professional skills, and an attractive start-up package. We actively support learning Dutch through departmentally funded courses.
Locally the position will be embedded in the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science , with a diverse research agenda in theoretical foundations, formal methods, and applications in the field of artificial intelligence and data science. Nationally, we are a partner of the Quantum Software Consortium, a multidisciplinary group of researchers from the universities of Amsterdam, Leiden and Delft, with backgrounds in computer science, mathematics, engineering, and physics. We are one of the five research hubs of the Quantum Delta NL program for the development of quantum technology. We share students and postdocs with QuTech in Delft, where we can try out ideas on quantum hardware.
· Establish an independent, internationally recognized research line in computer science, AI, quantum information science and technology;
· Acquire external funds through research grants and/or industrial collaborations;
· Teach at the undergraduate and graduate level in computer science;
· Supervise MSc and PhD students in their thesis work;
· Contribute to the inclusive atmosphere, management and organization of the institute
- PhD degree in computer science or physics and research experience at the postgraduate level;
- Demonstrated strong interest in an academic career through activities and publication record;
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal;
- Strong commitment to teaching and willingness to further develop teaching skills.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time, 6 year term position, with the possibility of a tenure position based on performance. Salary range from € 3.807,- to € 5.211,- gross per month (pay scale 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). In exceptional cases, candidates at the associate or full professor level will be taken into consideration
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University has its own childcare centre with available places reserved for Leiden University staff and students. Young parents also have the opportunity to take partially paid or unpaid parental leave (exact conditions are dependent on the duration of the employment).
Niels Bohrweg 1