Private insurances in the Netherlands

Private insurances in the Netherlands

Apart from the Dutch health insurance that is compulsory for all people who live or work in the Netherlands, one can opt in for other private insurances: 

Liability insurance

Protects you from claims initiated by another party.

Household contents insurance

Covers damage caused by burglary, fire etc.

(Foreign) Funeral insurance

For those expatriates who wish to be buried in their homeland. You can compare different Dutch funeral insurances in English on

Life insurance

Compensates your family in case of your death. Be extremely careful when choosing a life insurance policy; contacting different providers and / or independent advisors is highly recommended.

Accident insurance

Compensates you or your family in case of accident or death.

Travel insurance

Extremely useful for expats (and their families) who travel frequently. Covers costs of flight cancellations, luggage loss and theft, medical costs etc.

Residential premises insurance

Compulsory insurance for expats who buy a house in the Netherlands.

Income insurance

Covers loss of income in case of death, disability or unemployment.

Legal assistance insurance / Aid insurance

Covers costs of legal disputes such as social and labour issues, consumer conflicts and housing disputes.

Life insurance mortgage

Usually required for a mortgage.

Motor vehicle insurance

Mandatory for all vehicle drivers (at least for third party liability). The All Risk insurance pack covers pretty much everything but there are some more packages to choose from.

Survivor insurance

The Dutch government offers coverage to orphaned children and people whose partner passed away. However, this supplement is limited and thus, the survivor insurance balances the loss of income.

Read also

  • Dutch health insurance

    Dutch health insurance

    An overview of health insurance in the Netherlands including healthcare coverage, insurance providers, basic & additional insurance and eigen risico.
    read more
  • Other health insurances

    Other health insurances

    Info about the EU health insurance card, homeland insurance, and what applies to students, researchers, cross-border and posted workers in the Netherlands.
    read more