Child benefits in the Netherlands

Child benefits in the Netherlands

Child benefits in the Netherlands

There are three common benefits and allowances families and single parents in the Netherlands can receive from the government:

Children's allowance (kinderbijslag)

The children’s allowance helps cover the costs of raising children. The amount you receive depends on your child's age, how many you have, whether they live at home or not and if they have a side job.

In 2018 the amount per child per quarter is:

  • 201,05 euros for children aged 0 to 5 years
  • 244,13 euros for children aged 6 to 11 years
  • 287,21 euros per quarter for children from 12 to 17 years.

There are also different rates for parents with handicapped children.

Requirements for the children's allowance

To be eligible for the allowance you need to be registered and living in the Netherlands. In some cases you can live in another country - if they have a social security agreement with the Netherlands and if you are insured for the Dutch child benefit scheme (AKW).

The kinderbijslag is provided automatically to parents via the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB). If not, you can apply for the children’s allowance using your DigiD code. If you child is born in the Netherlands then the SVB should contact you directly.

Child benefit (kindgebonden budget)

The child benefit aims to help parents cover the cost of raising children by helping cover costs such as children’s clothing, food and school expenses. This is often the most important benefit for many families. It is also higher for single parents.

Requirements for the child benefit

  • You have one or more kids under the age of 18.
  • You receive the children’s allowance (kinderbijslag) from the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB).
  • You have a valid residence permit.
  • You earn below a certain level (the income restrictions are dependent upon the number of children you have).
  • You do not have too much money (capital): In 2018 if you do not have a fiscal partner your capital cannot exceed 113.415 euros. If you have a fiscal partner, the maximum combined capital is 143.415 euros.

The benefit is calculated on a sliding scale so the higher your income, the lower your benefit. The full list of conditions and exceptions can be found here (in Dutch).

Childcare benefit (kinderopvangtoeslag)

The childcare benefit is meant to help pay for childcare costs for working parents and is calculated on an hourly basis.

Requirements for the child care benefit

  • You are working, studying or following an integration course.
  • You have a contract with a childcare centre (kindercentrum) or child minder (gastouder).
  • You pay (part) of the childcare costs.
  • You have a valid residence or permit.
  • You receive the children’s allowance (kinderbijslag) or you are partially responsible for your child.
  • Your child attends a registered day care facility.
  • Your child is registered at your address.
  • Your child has not yet started secondary education.

The full list of conditions and exceptions can be found here (in Dutch).

You can claim a maximum of 230 hours per child per month, and can claim hourly rates of up to 7,45 euros for child care centres, 6,95 euros for out-of-school care and 5,91 for child minders.

The precise amount of the benefit you receive depends on your level of income, your childcare expenses and the type of childcare.

Read also

  • Benefits & Allowances in the Netherlands

    Benefits & Allowances in the Netherlands

    An overview of the social security and welfare system in the Netherlands. Learn about the Dutch tax benefits and allowances for expats and their partners.
    read more
  • Family & Kids

    Family & Kids

    Information about family and kids for expats in the Netherlands including childcare and daycare, getting married, partnership, divorce, birth and adoption.
    read more
  • Childcare & Day care

    Childcare & Day care

    Expat-friendly, English-speaking childcare and day care facilities all over the Netherlands.
    read more
  • International schools

    International schools

    Are you looking for an international school for your children? Here's a list of international schools per city.
    read more
  • Dutch tax services & advisors

    Dutch tax services & advisors

    Looking for taxation advice and services in the Netherlands? Check out our list of Dutch tax advisors, consultants, accountants and tax services for expats.
    read more
  • Dutch tax office Netherlands (Belastingdienst)

    Dutch tax office Netherlands (Belastingdienst)

    Information about the Dutch tax office including contact details & locations.
    read more