Wondering when the next school holiday is or how the Dutch school holiday system works?
The Dutch school holiday schedule
When it comes to determining holidays, Dutch schools and international schools in the Netherlands are divided into three regions: North, Central and South. To avoid a holiday rush, each region has its own vacation schedule.
The three Dutch holiday regions
The Dutch provinces are divided into three regions that determine when school holiday is:
The Northern region (regio noord)
|Flevoland||All municipalities, except Zeewolde|
|Utrecht||Eemnes and Abcoude|
The Central region (regio midden)
|Gelderland||Aalten, Apeldoorn, Barneveld, Berkelland, Bronckhorst, Brummen, Buren, Culemborg, Doetinchem, Ede, Elburg, Epe, Ermelo, Geldermalsen, Harderwijk, Heerde, Lingewaal, Lochem, Montferland (except Didam), Neder-Betuwe (except Dodewaard), Neerijnen, Nijkerk, Nunspeet, Oldebroek, Oost-Gelre, Oude IJsselstreek, Putten, Scherpenzeel, Tiel, Voorst, Wageningen, Winterswijk, Zutphen|
|Noord-Brabant||Werkendam (except Hank and Dussen) and Woudrichem|
|Utrecht||All municipalities except Eemnes and Abcoude|
The Southern region (regio zuid)
|Gelderland||Arnhem, Beuningen, Doesburg, Druten, Duiven, Groesbeek, Heumen, Neder-Betuwe (only Dodewaard), Lingewaard, Maasdriel, Millingen a/d Rijn, Montferland (only Didam), Nijmegen, Overbetuwe, Renkum, Rheden, Rozendaal, Rijnwaarden, Ubbergen, Westervoort, West Maas en Waal, Wijchen,Zaltbommel, Zevenaar.|
|Noord-Brabant||All municipalities except Woudrichem and Sleeuwijk, Nieuwendijk and Werkendam in the municipality of Werkendam|
Fixed school holidays in the Netherlands
Some school holidays (schoolvakanties) such as the summer, Christmas and May vacations, are fixed. The May holiday cannot be moved, but schools can extend it by one week. It is therefore important to always check the precise dates with your school.
Flexible school holidays in the Netherlands
Schools are allowed to deviate from the advised holiday period for spring break and the autumn holiday. For example, schools in the south of the Netherlands often shift their spring break forward to correspond with Carnival, instead of having it later like the rest of the country. Autumn vacation dates can also be flexible for school districts, but usually these remain the same as the advised dates.
Can I take my child on vacation outside of the school holiday periods?
The Dutch government does not permit parents to take their children on vacation outside of the school holiday periods. Parents who do this violate the Compulsory Education law (Leerplichtwet).
In exceptional circumstances, parents can submit a request (known as a beroep op vrijstelling) to the school board for leave outside holiday periods. This is only allowed once per school year and must be requested at least eight weeks in advance.
Other conditions are that the leave is intended for a family holiday, is for a maximum period of 10 days and must not occur in the first two weeks after the summer holidays.
2022 school holidays in the Netherlands
These are the advised school holidays for primary and secondary schools in the Netherlands in 2022:
Spring break 2022 (voorjaarsvakantie, carnavalsvakantie or krokusvakantie)
- North: February 19 - February 27, 2022
- Central: February 26 - March 6, 2022
- South: February 26 - March 6, 2022
May vacation 2022 (meivakantie)
- North: April 30 - May 8, 2022
- Central: April 30 - May 8, 2022
- South: April 30 - May 8, 2022
Summer vacation 2022 (zomervakantie)
- North: July 16 - August 28, 2022
- Central: July 9 - August 21, 2022
- South: July 23 - September 4, 2022
Autumn vacation 2022 (herfstvakantie)
- North: October 15 - October 23, 2022
- Central: October 22 - October 30, 2022
- South: October 22 - October 30, 2022
Christmas vacation 2022- 2023 (kerstvakantie)
- North: December 24, 2022 - January 8, 2023
- Central: December 24, 2022 - January 8, 2023
- South: December 24, 2022 - January 8, 2023
Other school holidays in 2022
Free days for students outside of the school holidays in 2022 are:
- Easter Monday (2e paasdag): April 18, 2022
- King’s Day (Koningsdag): April 27, 2022
- Ascension Day (Hemelvaart): May 26, 2022
- Whit Monday (2e pinksterdag): June 6, 2022
Check with the school if your child is free on the following holiday(s):
- Good Friday (Goede vrijdag): April 15, 2022
- Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag): May 5, 2022
2023 school holidays in the Netherlands
These are the advised school holidays for primary and secondary schools in the Netherlands in 2023:
Spring break 2023 (voorjaarsvakantie, carnavalsvakantie or krokusvakantie)
- North: February 25 - March 5, 2023
- Central: February 25 - March 5, 2023
- South: February 18 - February 26, 2023
May vacation 2023 (meivakantie)
- North: April 29 - May 7, 2023
- Central: April 29 - May 7, 2023
- South: April 29 - May 7, 2023
Summer vacation 2023 (zomervakantie)
- North: July 22 - September 3, 2023
- Central: July 8 - August 20, 2023
- South: July 15 - August 27, 2023
Autumn vacation 2023 (herfstvakantie)
- North: October 21 - October 29, 2023
- Central: October 14 - October 22, 2023
- South: October 14 - October 22, 2023
Christmas vacation 2023- 2024 (kerstvakantie)
- North: December 23, 2023 - January 7, 2024
- Central: December 23, 2023 - January 7, 2024
- South: December 23, 2023 - January 7, 2024
Holiday childcare in the Netherlands
If you need to work during school vacations then a holiday programme (vakantieopvang) might be a good option for your child. Some childcare centres (kinderopvang) with afterschool care for school-age children (buitenschoolse opvang) also offer holiday programmes which can include sports, excursions or camping trips.
Other education institutions and holidays
The school holiday schedule is not applicable to childcare centres or to Dutch higher education. Universities and vocational education institutions (MBO) can set their own holiday dates.
Other Dutch holidays
For national holidays, please check out our Dutch holidays and days off page.