Head of Engineering - Leading Healthcare Company
Updated: 19 Oct 2021
The Head of Engineering will establish and drive the Ethylene Oxide (EtO) engineering and maintenance strategy in line with targets and programs and in line with applicable regional regulations subject to environmental, occupational and safety regulations.
Defining standards for existing plants and future builds and working with the HSSE team, Engineering and Plant leads to upgrade/retrofit where appropriate.
The Head of Engineering will work as part of the EMEA-APAC leadership team across all EtO plants.
Promote and facilitate plans for improvements in Plant's safety, reliability and availability.
Work with Plant leads to drive Capital investment to improve quality, reliability, Safety and environmental aspects.
Manage Critical Supplier Commercial relationships and Contracts.
Manage Critical component (parts) inventory.1. Develop an engineering standard for an 'EtO Plant' including the USA and benchmark all Regional facilities with a clear action plan and risk register, standardising where appropriate, to include:
a. Chamber design
b. Air handling
e. Product handling
2. Develop a tool for monitoring critical components of the EtO plants.
3. Put in place suitable service contracts and (critical) spare parts procurement where appropriate.
4. Facilitate information and engineering know-how and best practise sharing across sites through regular meetings and communication.
5. Provide leadership to ensure safe engineering practices by development of an effective safety culture, enforcement of safety practices in compliance to internal and external requirements and regulations. Develop and implement Hazard control procedures.
6. Standardise PPMs across region
a. Identify critical components
b. Ensure all Critical Suppliers meet the standards and manage their performance
c. Introduce risk based review of all Critical components
d. Introduce Innovative tool to monitor asset performance
7. Identify and develop appropriate Standardised training requirements for EtO engineers and support implementation.
8. Interpret local regulatory standards and ensure Plants are Compliant to
c. Major Hazard Control
9. Provide leadership to ensure continuous improvement of maintenance processes and activities in line with world class safety objectives and the Quality management system
10. Ensure that the Engineering team operates within and towards the published Corporate vision and global objectives, including LEAN, 5S, Sustainability and One Team One Goal strategies.
11. Apply to values, culture and ethos managing the business, it's Customers and staff.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in engineering
- 5-10 years of experience in a similar role
- Proven leadership qualities
- High degree of trust, integrity and honesty
- Acute awareness of the importance of safety to the business
- Willing to go the extra mile for our Customers (Customer First, always)
- Good understanding of the principle of continuous improvement
- Well-developed understanding of risk and risk avoidance
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Good understanding of technology and innovation. Exposure to ventilation or chemical handling systems would be a distinct advantage
- Able to remain calm under pressure and make rational decisions
- Attention to detail
- The job is home-based, but the occasional visit to the Plant in Venlo will be required.
- International travel will be about 20% of the time
- Competitive salary
- Bonus scheme
- Pension plan
The company is a leading provider of services focused on infection control and sterilisation and has facilities around the globe. Radiation and gases are used in the process.