Assistant Professor (tenure track) Innovation Studies (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
Updated: 13 May 2021
The section Innovation Studies is looking for a new colleague in the field of innovation studies (a tenure track position). Our group is interested in innovation for societal challenges in public, private and civil-society contexts. Accordingly, we understand innovation in a broad perspective, looking at various forms of innovation (technological, service, institutional, social, frugal, environmental) and by a range of actors (citizen, business, government, university).The section Innovation Studies is part of the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development with joint research foci on transitions, governance and modelling in the domains of circular economy and sustainable energy, food, land and water. We also participate in Utrecht University's Strategic Themes 'Institutions for Open Societies' and 'Pathways to Sustainability'. The section is a large research group (>40 FTE), which enjoys high (inter)national visibility, and is run by the Professors Ellen Moors, Koen Frenken and Marko Hekkert. The group culture is open, supportive and collaborative. You will teach in the Science & Innovation Management Bachelor's programme as well as in the Master's programme Sustainable Business & Innovation and/or Innovation Sciences. Your role and input in courses will depend on your own expertise and fields of interests. Furthermore, you will supervise students working on their Bachelor's and Master's theses. You will contribute to the research programme of the Innovation Studies section on innovation for societal challenges, where science and technology dynamics, new business models, digitalisation, institutions, sustainability transitions and innovation policy are central topics. Additionally you will contribute to the acquisition and execution of externally funded projects.
We are looking for a motivated candidate with the following profile:
- Upon starting, you hold a doctoral degree (PhD) related to innovation studies, transition studies, sustainability science, science & technology studies, management, economics, sociology, geography or a related discipline.
- You have a proven affinity with the topic of innovation in a broad sense.
- You are motivated in teaching, research and outreach.
- You have an interest and experience in topics which matches or complements our research and/or teaching.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You are a team player.
- You are expected to acquire the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) of Utrecht University, if you have not obtained this or a similar qualification yet.
- You are able to demonstrate excellent English language proficiency. We require a qualification level of English at C1 level (comparable to level 3 of the Lecturer Assessment Grid) or you should be willing to obtain this level by training.
For the tenure track we offer a temporary position (0.8-1.0 FTE) for six years in combination with a 4-year tenure track qualification programme. Your performance will be subject to annual evaluations as well as an end-term evaluation after 3.5 years. Following a positive evaluation - based on the faculty performance indicators - your employment will become permanent after four years, or sooner depending on the moment you qualify. In case the 3.5-year evaluation is not satisfactory, the contract will be terminated. A continuation after the first four years is only possible for the purpose of compensation of maternity or parental leave or other recognized delays. Further career development to Associate Professor (level 2) is possible, depending on qualification.
The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,746 and €5,127 (scale 11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
32 - 40 hours per week