Assistant Professor in Statistical Learning | Faculty of Science and Engineering | 1.0 FTE
Updated: 16 Aug 2023
The Department of Advanced Computing Sciences (DACS) of the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is looking for an Assistant Professor in Statistical Learning. To strengthen our research initiatives on statistical learning, we are looking for a scientist with expertise in areas like: computational statistics, machine learning, data mining. Research on emerging statistical learning topics, for instance: foundation models, conformal prediction, causal discovery– is particularly welcome.
As our new colleague, you will contribute to DACS research. Our research activities span the entire spectrum from curiosity-driven research to responsible societal applications, often taking on an interdisciplinary character. Contributions to areas such as multi-agent systems, (medical) signal and image processing, FAIR principles, game theory, intelligent search techniques and affective computing are internationally recognized. What makes our research so interesting is that DACS maintains an industry network with over 80 private collaborators ranging from local SMEs to large multinationals. The department designs and develops data-driven solutions for a wide variety of business applications in sectors including transport and logistics, healthcare, and production and manufacturing. This why you can contribute to science and our society of tomorrow!
In addition to your research, you will contribute to our top-rated education. Our department offers one bachelor’s program and two master programs, all of which are nationally ranked among the top of their kind in the fields of AI and Data Science. In September 2023, we will also launch a new bachelor in Computer Science. You will strongly contribute to the focus and strengthening of our programs.
Who are you?
We seek a colleague who is passionate about research and who enjoys teaching. You feel at home in a strongly international and diverse community like ours. Furthermore, we are looking to welcome someone who fosters collaboration at all levels.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A PhD degree in Statistical Learning, Computational Statistics, Statistics or a strongly related field;
- Preferably at least 2 years working experience in an academic environment post-PhD;
- A proven track record in research and teaching;
- Effective communication and organizational skills;
- Experience with funding acquisition at national and European level.
As an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Science and Engineering, you will be employed by the most international university of the Netherlands, located in the beautiful city of Maastricht. In addition, we offer you:
- Good employment conditions. The position is in grated in scale 11-12 according to the UFO profile Assistant professor 2-1. with corresponding salary ranging from € 4.332 to € 6.737 gross per month (based on a full-time employment of 38 hours per week). In addition to the monthly salary, an 8.0% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus are applicable.
- An employment contract for a period of 18 months with a scope of 1.0 FTE. If proven suitable, the employment contract will be converted into an indefinite contract.
- As Family-friendly University, we offer flexible working hours and the possibility to work partly from home if the nature of your position allows it. You will receive a monthly commuting and internet allowance for this. If you work full-time, you will be entitled to 29 vacation days and 4 additional public holidays per year, namely carnival Monday, carnival Tuesday, Good Friday, and Liberation Day. If you choose to accumulate compensation hours, an additional 12 days will be added. Furthermore, you can personalize your employment conditions through a collective labor agreement (CAO) choice model.
- As Maastricht University, we offer various other excellent secondary employment conditions. These include a good pension scheme with the ABP and the opportunity for UM employees to participate in company fitness and make use of the extensive sports facilities that we also offer to our students.
- Applicants from outside The Netherlands may be eligible for the so-called 30% ruling, a tax cut for highly skilled migrants that applies for a maximum of five years. If you are moving to Maastricht from more than 40 kilometers away, you may qualify for a one-time reimbursement of your relocation costs.
- Last but certainly not least, we provide the space and facilities for your personal and professional development. We facilitate this by offering a wide range of training programs and supporting various well-established initiatives such as 'acknowledge and appreciate'.
The terms of employment at Maastricht University are largely set out in the Collective Bargaining Agreement of Dutch Universities. In addition, local provisions specific to UM apply. For more information, Click here
38 hours per week
Paul-Henri Spaaklaan 1