PhD Position Hybrid Electric Aircraft Design and Operational Analysis
Updated: 01 Feb 2023
This PhD project is part of a large European project that aims to develop the future (hybrid-) electric regional aircraft. The aim is to develop an integrated market deployment analysis and aircraft design model that can help define the high-level design options that will fit the regional market. Multidisciplinary optimisation methods should be developed and implemented in a framework that should be able to:
- simulate the future regional hybrid-electric airplane operations scenario in a multimodal mobility environment;
- compute the optimal network and fleet composition for reference airline cases;
- efficiently couple and integrate conceptual aircraft design with fleet and network modeling to;
- propose aircraft redesign options, following a (surrogate) aircraft design model that allows changing key design parameters (within acceptable boundaries);
- and computing key performance indicators, like:
* fuel burn/ energy reduction for the network missions
* flight performance and payload/range frequencies
* market demand for future concepts.
The project combines knowledge of aircraft design, operations modelling and multidisciplinary design optimization. The candidates should have a strong background, at least in one of the domains and be willing to develop knowledge of the other domains. Being also part of a large European project, the candidate is expected to have experience working on a team of researchers.
Doing a PhD at TU Delft requires English proficiency at a certain level to ensure that the candidate is able to communicate and interact well, participate in English-taught Doctoral Education courses, and write scientific articles and a final thesis. For more details, please check the Graduate Schools Admission Requirements.
Doctoral candidates will be offered a 4-year period of employment in principle, but in the form of 2 employment contracts. An initial 1.5 year contract with an official go/no go progress assessment within 15 months. Followed by an additional contract for the remaining 2.5 years assuming everything goes well and performance requirements are met.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2541 per month in the first year to € 3247 in the fourth year. As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the TU Delft Graduate School. The TU Delft Graduate School provides an inspiring research environment with an excellent team of supervisors, academic staff and a mentor. The Doctoral Education Programme is aimed at developing your transferable, discipline-related and research skills.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, discounts on health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. For international applicants we offer the Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice to assist you with your relocation.