Tenure track Assistant Professor in Biological Chemistry (1.0 FTE)
Updated: 21 Oct 2020
In this tenure track position you will be encouraged to develop a cutting-edge research programme focused on applying chemical approaches to investigate biological and disease processes. Preferably you will develop a research programme dealing with synthetic biology such as the manipulation of the biosynthetic machinery of host organisms or cell free systems to produce therapeutic glycoproteins. Your interests may include examining the importance of post-translational modifications such as glycosylation for microbiology, microbiota, immunology, neurobiology, metabolomics, and tumor biology. You are intrinsically motivated to continuously develop your research programme and actively seek funding for new research projects through the suitable personal (Vidi, Vici, ERC), national, European and other international granting opportunities. In addition, you will contribute to the supervision of research projects of postdoctoral Researchers, PhD candidates and Master's students and you have the ambition to actively participate in the teaching activities at Bachelor's and Master's level.
We are looking for someone to complement our team, both on an academic and personal level, and who has:
- a PhD;
- at least two years of postdoctoral research experience and a strong track record in research accomplishments;
- the vision and ambition to build an independent research programme, and the ability to obtain extramural research funding;
- affinity and enthusiasm for academic teaching, and the potential to coach and guide PhD and other students;
- obtained or is willing to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification;
- excellent English language proficiency. We require a qualification English at C1 level (CEFR or comparable to level 3 of the lecturer Assessment Grid) or you are prepared to obtain this level by training.
Our department is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce, and we strongly welcome women to apply.
- a tenure track position for 5 years which will be subject to a mid-term evaluation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term evaluation. When evaluations are positive, the position becomes permanent after 5 years. The appointment is at Assistant Professor level (“universitair docent”);
- a full-time gross salary ranging from €3,637 to €5,656 in scale 11-12;
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
38 - 40 hours per week