PhD training coordinator
Updated: 29 Feb 2020
The Netherlands Graduate Research School for Science, Technology and Modern Culture (WTMC, http://www.wtmc.eu) is looking for a PhD training coordinator, starting September 2020. The new coordinator will collaborate closely with a second coordinator (currently dr. Anne Beaulieu) and with the academic director. The coordinator positions are crucial for the success of WTMC, as providing training for a new generation of scholars in the field is one of the main tasks. WTMC currently has about 200 (junior and senior) members from all Dutch universities, of whom about 30 are engaged with the first phase of training, and are thus participating in the workshops and summer schools designed and run by the coordinators. The training programme attracts much attention from international participants, and from senior scholars wishing either to contribute to the programme or to learn from WTMC experiences in order to establish something similar in their own countries.The coordinators:
- prepare and co-chair two three-day workshops, one summer school, and two one-day dissertation days every year
- create the programmes for the workshops and schools, including activities and skills training
- invite and coach lecturers for the workshops and schools
- create the summer school programme together with the anchor teacher
- advise the director, the teaching committee and the board on all issues concerning the training programme
- informally advise the PhD students during workshops and schools on addressing issues they may encounter during the PhD trajectory
The new coordinator should have:
- a PhD in a discipline relevant to WTMC, such as Science & Technology Studies, Innovation Studies, History and Philosophy of Science, etc.
- broad knowledge of the fields relevant for WTMC
- a network of relevant national and international contacts in those fields
- an affiliation with one of the universities or institutions participating in WTMC
- interest in and experience with teaching advanced students
- well-developed organizational skills
- fluency in written and spoken English
- the willingness to start in September 2020 (the workshop in autumn 2020 is the first workshop to be co-prepared by the new coordinator)
- the willingness, in principle, to be coordinator for at least four years.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For additional information, please contact the Academic Director of WTMC:
Prof. dr. Stefan Kuhlmann,
University of Twente
Phone: +31 534892627
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS – March 1, 2020
Please send applications to Stefan Kuhlmann at address above.
Interviews will be held on 7 April 2020 in Utrecht (tbc).
Applications must be in English and should include:
- a letter of motivation explaining your interest in the position of WTMC coordinator
- full CV, including name, contact details, academic training, previous and present employment, list of publications
- if not already in CV, include details of teaching experience and any pedagogical training undertaken
- a one-page description of an idea for a future WTMC workshop
- A secondment (detachering) contract for eight hours a week (note that the workload is unevenly distributed throughout the year.)
- funding to attend one international conference a year, in order to support knowledge of the field and networking
- the opportunity to visit the anchor teacher for the summer schools in order to prepare the programme.
38 hours per week