PhD Candidate on 3D reconstruction and mixed reality
Updated: 30 Sep 2023
As part of the innovative XTREME project, you will delve into the forefront of research in computer vision and photogrammetry.
This position is part of a recently EU-funded XTREME project: Mixed Reality Environment for Immersive Experience of Art and Culture. The overall objective of XTREME is to develop a human-centred and ethically developed digital and industrial mixed reality environment to experience art and music performances and concerts and to improve its social value. The project is a collaboration among 14 partners, including IT University Copenhagen and the University of Twente. You will be based in a team with outstanding academic performance (as reflected by our publications in impactful journals and conferences), a strong industrial network, and a pleasant, collaborative atmosphere. You will be working on calibrating multi-sensor systems, reconstructing high-fidelity 3D CAD models, and developing scene synthesis methods for blending virtual and real scenes.
You will perform research on your topics, and collaborate with other researchers and experts in the XTREME project to contribute to the development of new techniques and approaches. You will present (both preliminary and mature) results at appropriate meetings and conferences, publish results in scientific workshops, conference proceedings, and journals, contribute to teaching on topics related to your work, and supervise and mentor involved MSc students as needed.
- An MSc degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Geoinformatics, Mathematics, or a related field
- A creative mindset and strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Able to do independent research and field data collection
- Experience with at least one of the fields of multi-sensor integration, 3D reconstruction, SLAM, and deep learning, and willing to delve deeper into these topics
- Good communication skills
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- A good team spirit
- An inspiring multidisciplinary, international and academic environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda
- Full-time position for 4 years
- A professional and personal development programme within Twente Graduate School
- Gross monthly salary of € 2,770.- in the first year that increases to € 3,539.- in the fourth year
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development
- A solid pension scheme
- A total of 41 holiday days per year in case of full-time employment
- Excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus.
40 hours per week