Looking for a house in the Netherlands? Have you chosen a suitable neighbourhood yet? If you are not sure what to look for, here's a list of some issues to consider:
- Are streets, sidewalks and alleys well maintained?
- Is there allocated parking? How difficult is it to get a parking permit?
- Is this a good neighbourhood for cycling? Are there sufficient bicycle lanes and stands?
- What about the volume of traffic?
- Which hospitals, doctors and dentists are located in the wider area?
- How far is the nearest bank?
- Any (night) shops / shopping centres / kiosks nearby?
- Are there leisure facilities (attractions, gyms and fitness centres etc.) in the neighbourhood?
- Is the area noisy? Is it near main roads, railway / tram lines or flight paths? Any bars and clubs around?
- What is the condition of nearby properties? Are there any construction plans?
- Are there any known plans for development in the wider area?
- What is the crime level like in the area?
- Is there enough street light at night?
- Have there been past incidences in nearby parks?
- Where is the nearest police station located?
- Walk around the property. What do passersby say about the neighbourhood?
- What are the neighbours like?
- Does it feel like a friendly community?
- Are there any churches or other places of worship close by?
- What are the local schools like? Any international schools around?
- How far are the garbage collectors?
- Is there any construction nearby or are there skyscrapers blocking natural light from entering the house?