Insurances in the Netherlands

Insurances in the Netherlands

There are many types of insurance in the Netherlands. While certain insurances are compulsory, you do have the freedom to choose the provider. It is then wise to compare policies, fees and premiums before choosing an insurance company.

Types of insurance available in the Netherlands

Generally speaking, these are the different types of insurance available in the Netherlands:

Health insurance (zorgverzekering)

All residents of the Netherlands are required to take out basic Dutch health insurance.

Health insurance for international students

International students in the Netherlands are not always obliged to take out health insurance. Find out more about health insurance for international students

General insurance or non-life insurance (schadeverzekering)

General insurance compensates the insured after the occurrence of an insured risk (also known as property and casualty insurance).

Life insurance (levensverzekering)

Life insurance is related to the life or death of a person. For example term life insurance (overlijdensrisicoverzekering) and funeral insurance (uitvaartverzekering).

Car insurance

Every car owner in the Netherlands must have third-party liability insurance (WA-verzekering), however, there are additional types of car insurance you can get. 

Private insurances in the Netherlands

In addition to the insurances mentioned above, you can opt for a variety of private insurances in the Netherlands, such as household insurance, pet insurance and accident insurance.

Household / home insurance in the Netherlands

If you live in the Netherlands, it's a good idea to take out house insurance. There are different types of home insurance in the Netherlands, so how do you choose the best one for you? And is it compulsory? Read more about home insurance in the Netherlands.

Compulsory insurances in the Netherlands

In the Netherlands, there are a few insurances that are compulsory. For example health insurance (zorgverzekering) and motor vehicle insurance (WA-verzekering).

However, there are other insurances that you are not obliged to take out but you are highly advised to. For example the residential premises insurance (opstalverzekering) for those who want to buy a house and need to take a Dutch mortgage. Often mortgage providers in the Netherlands require you take it out.

Read also