PhD Candidate in Computer Security and Privacy
Updated: 15 Jun 2021
The institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at Radboud University is looking for a PhD candidate in the area of computer privacy and security. As a PhD candidate in this area, you will conduct large-scale empirical studies of websites, mobile apps and smart home (IoT) devices with a focus on privacy and security threats. The research focus can be tuned to your interests. Possible directions include large-scale measurement of web tracking and mobile tracking; anonymous communication networks such as Tor; detection and measurement of deceptive and manipulative (dark) design patterns.
You will be supervised by Assistant Professor Gunes Acar to conduct research in the chosen direction, and publish your research at top computer security and privacy conferences. Beyond academia, your research will potentially have a substantial real-world impact by raising the public's understanding of privacy and security threats, informing the design of better countermeasures, and leading to fixes in web standards, browsers or mobile platforms.You will pursue your PhD in a vibrant international research environment in the Digital Security group at iCIS, with renowned professors and researchers in various aspects of digital security, privacy and cryptography. At iCIS we value a diverse workforce. Female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.
- An MSc degree in computer science or any other relevant discipline.
- Solid programming skills.
- Good command of spoken and written English.
- Critical thinking, and good communication skills.
- Employment: 0.8 (5 year contract) -1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,395 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,061 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- Your teaching load may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- The intended start date is 1 September 2021.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions. They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
32 - 40 hours per week