10 best Christmassy ice skating rinks in the Netherlands
Ice skating in the Netherlands is wildly popular. In fact, it can be argued that it's the Dutch national sport. Although the Dutch weather rarely allows enough ice for the legendary Elfstedentocht (the Eleven Cities Skating Tour), ice skating has been held in very high regard in the Netherlands for generations.
Not only is the country full of permanent ice skating rinks - Jaap Eden Baan in Amsterdam, Thialf in Heerenveen, De Scheg in Deventer and De Vechtsebanen in Utrecht, for example - Christmas is a time when temporary festive ice rinks pop up in many Dutch cities from long before the holidays right up until well into the new year.
Christmassy ice skating rinks in the Netherlands
Here are some of the most Christmassy skating rinks coming to a Dutch city near you this winter:
1. Rembrandtplein Ice Rink, Amsterdam
On one of the most famous city squares in Amsterdam, and in the general vicinity of the Amstel River by the Munt and the Pathé Tuschinski Theatre, the Rembrandtplein Ice Rink is the perfect location to spend a few hours in the heart of the city in the run-up to Christmas. The ice rink is surrounded by cosy-looking chalets and the trees are adorned with LED fairy lights.
- Date: November 17, 2023 - January 7, 2024
- Time: 10am-11pm
- Where: Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam
- Tickets: 5 euros (9 euros to rent skates)
2. Amsterdam Winter Paradise
Families and kids, students, locals and expats of all ages will have the time of their lives at Amsterdam Winter Paradise (Het Amsterdamse Winterparadijs) at Amsterdam RAI. The ice-skating area comprises both indoor and outdoor ice rinks, which are interconnected. There's a separate ice rink for children up to six years, five curling lanes, where you can take part in curling competitions and thrilling rides that make you feel like you're at your favourite amusement park!
- Date: December 14-30, 2023
- Time: 9am-11pm
- Where: RAI Amsterdam, Europaplein, 1078 GZ Amsterdam
- Tickets: From 19,50 euros
3. Floating Ice Rink, Leiden
As part of the Winter Wonder Weeks in Leiden, you can go ice skating on the Floating Ice Rink (Drijvende IJsbaan). Sadly, there's no Floating Christmas Market in 2023, but a day out at this ice rink is still guaranteed to be filled with festive fun for the whole family.
- Date: December 9, 2023 - January 7, 2024
- Time: 10am-9pm
- Where: Nieuwe Rijn 19, 2312 JC, Leiden
- Tickets: 9 euros including skate rental
4. Cool Event Scheveningen, The Hague
The 600-square-metre ice rink in front of the famous old Kurhaus Hotel is known as Kurhausplein on Ice, which is part of the Cool Event celebrations in Scheveningen, and is just a short tram journey away from the city of The Hague.
The ice rink is surrounded by heated restaurant terraces that offer warm drinks and seasonal dishes. Cool Event Scheveningen has so many fun attractions - visitors can also enjoy the ice sculpture exhibition, snow tubing on the slopes and more - but the central activity is undoubtedly the ice skating.
- Date: November 11, 2023 - February 11, 2024
- Time: 10am-10pm
- Where: Kurhausplein, Scheveningen, The Hague
- Tickets: 7,50 euros (12,50 euros including skate rental)
5. Schaatsbaan at Kralingen, Rotterdam
The 400-metre covered ice skating track at the Kralingen in Rotterdam, better known as Schaatsbaan Rotterdam, is striking with its rainbow-coloured roof. There’s also a smaller “Funbaan” for practising your skating skills and for taking part in a game of curling.
- Date: November 25, 2023 - February 24, 2024
- Time: 9am-11pm
- Where: Kralingen, Rotterdam
- Tickets: from 8,50 euros (6,50 euros for skate rental)
6. Archeon, Alphen aan den Rijn
Looking to have a little historical fun as you don your ice skates? The ice rink at Archeon offers you just that! A ticket to the park guarantees you free entry to the ice rink, and the winter season celebration also includes plenty of fun and entertainment for the little ones. While you will need a ticket for the park in order to access the ice rink, once you're inside Archeon there are no extra charges for anyone who wants to take to the ice!
- Date: December 17, 2023 - January 9, 2024
- Time: 11am-5pm
- Where: Archeon archeological living museum in Alphen aan den Rijn, South Holland
- Tickets: 5 euros for skate rental
7. Magical Maastricht
There's plenty to do in Maastricht this winter - including ice skating! A gorgeous 1000-square-metre covered ice rink takes centre stage in the winter village on Vrijthof Square. There’s even a mini ice rink for children, where they can earn their ice skating diploma, and a rink just for curling.
- Date: November 30 - December 31, 2023
- Time: 10am-12am
- Where: Vrijthof, 6211 LE, Maastricht
- Tickets: 12 euros including skate rental
8. Winter Station at the National Railway Museum, Utrecht
Winter Station is a fantastic festive celebration at the National Railway Museum of the Netherlands, complete with an ice-skating rink, face painting and other fun activities for kids, parents and the whole family.
- Date: December 23, 2023 - January 7, 2024
- Time: 10am-7pm
- Where: National Railway Museum, Maliebaanstation 16, 3581 XW, Utrecht
- Tickets: Free with a valid ticket to the Railway Museum
9. Gouda Ice Skating Rink, Gouda
Skate around the iconic 15th-century town hall during December and January. The market square, or Markt, where Gouda Cheese Market takes place is the very same location as Gouda Ice Skating Rink (Goudse IJsbaan).
- Date: December 20, 2023 - January 14, 2024
- Time: 9am-11pm
- Where: Markt, Gouda
- Tickets: 7,50 euros (10 euros including skate rental)
10. Winter Village Amstelveen
Cosy up with friends or family over a warm cup of hot chocolate and enjoy a day of skating and shopping at the Winter Village in Amstelveen Stadshart.
- Date: December 2, 2023 - January 7, 2024
- Time: 3pm-9pm
- Where: Stadshart Amstelveen
- Tickets: 9,50 euros with free skate rental
Plan your trip to an ice skating rink this winter
There are so many ice skating rinks to choose from. Plan your day out enjoying skating coupled with browsing the Christmas markets.