Dutch Beer Week
Dutch Beer Week has become an annual event, with hundreds of beer-related activities all over the Netherlands.
About Dutch Beer Week 2023 (Week van het Nederlands Bier)
Dutch Beer Week (Week van het Nederlands Bier) is a celebration of Dutch beer. Since the Netherlands is one of the most prominent exporters and producers of beer, then this annual focal point of beer is totally justified! The Netherlands has had a very strong brewing culture going way back to the Middle Ages and to this day, Dutch beer brands are well known all across the world, from big brands like Heineken to Trappist beer brewed by monks and all kinds of craft beers.
There are multiple events happening across three days, as you'll see below, from beer tasting sessions to guided tours of breweries and from beer bingo to masterclasses. The epicentre of Dutch Beer Week 2023 is the three-day Dutch Beer Tasting Festival The Hague (NL Bierproeffestival) on May 11-13.
Dutch Beer Tasting Festival The Hague (NL Bierproeffestival)
The Dutch Beer Week opens with the Dutch Beer Tasting Festival (Nederlands Bierproeffestival) at the Grote Kerk in the centre of The Hague. There will be hundreds of types of Dutch beer to try out, presented by approximately 43 Dutch breweries. Visitors can enjoy tasty food alongside their beer, which will be sold at the festival! Alcohol-free beer is also available.
Buy your tickets online while they last! Tickets are 20 euros. When you show your ticket at the entrance, you will be presented with a complimentary tasting glass and a festival guide. The location of the festival couldn’t be more perfect, as it’s easily accessible from The Hague Central Station and The Hague Hollands Spoor station, as well as by tram and bus. So, leave your cars and bicycles at home and enjoy festivities safely.
Announcement of the Best beer of the Netherlands (Het beste bier van Nederland)
During the first day of the festival, the “Best beer of the Netherlands” (Het beste bier van Nederland) is announced. This is the culmination of the Dutch Beer Challenge which typically takes place a few weeks before the announcement, with over 900 Dutch breweries taking part. With so many taking part, it's a truly exciting moment to find out who the winner is!
Dutch Beer Week activities near you
Check out the Dutch Beer Week website for more information about beer-related events happening in the Netherlands. Here's an overview of special events happening during Dutch Beer Week:
Dutch brewery open days
- Open Day at Stadsbrouwerij Maastricht in Maastricht
- Open Day at Royal Swinkels Family Brewers in Lieshout
- Open Day at Berghoeve Brouwerij in Den Ham
- Open Day at Brouwerij de 12 Stuyvers in Hazerswoude-Dorp
- Open Day at Brouwerij de Molen in Bodegraven
- Open Day at Brouwerij Dampegheest in Limmen
Beer festivals in Dutch cities
- Rotterdam Beer Week (De Week van het Rotterdamse bier) at De Kaapse Brouwers in Rotterdam
- Dutch Craft Beer Festival (sold out!) at Stanislaus Brewskovitch in Enschede
- Dutch Beer Tasting Festival (NL Bierproeffestival) at Grote Kerk in The Hague
- Guided tour at Bierbrouwerij de Koningshoeven in Berkel-Enschot
- Guided tour at Two Chefs Brewing in Amsterdam
- Guided tour and beer tasting at Othmar Bierbrouwerij Herberg & Bierspa in Ootmarsum
- Craft Beer Tour with Brew Bus Amsterdam
- Spring Beer Cycling Tour at Delftse Stadsbrouwerij De Koperen Kat in Delft
- Beer tasting at Karreman Biermeesters in Rotterdam
- Beer & Bitterballen at Bieradvies van Mies in Zuid-Scharwoude
- Beer tasting at Dutch Bargain in Groede
- Beer tasting at Betuws Bier in Eck en Wiel
- Beer Bingo at De BAR Gebrouwen door Vrouwen in Amsterdam
- Barrel-aging Masterclass at Bierbrouwerij De Magistraat in Almkerk
Participating Dutch breweries and Dutch beer brands
Here are a few participating breweries:
- Stadsbrouwerij Maastricht
- Royal Swinkels Family Brewers (formerly Bavaria Brewery)
- Berghoeve Brouwerij
- De Kaapse Brouwers
- Brouwerij Dampegheest
- Bierbrouwerij de Koningshoeven Trappist Brewery
- Delftse Stadsbrouwerij De Koperen Kat
- Othmar Bierbrouwerij Herberg & Bierspa
- Brouwerij de 12 Stuyvers
- Brouwerij de Molen
- Two Chefs Brewing
- Betuws Bier
Plan your trip and travel home safely
The organisers of the Dutch Beer Tasting Festival strongly recommend visitors to come to the festival by public transport instead of cycling or driving. Check out the Dutch Beer Week website for more information.