One may choose between a contract (Abonnementen) or a prepaid card. Prepaid card providers offer cheap packages including the option to keep the same number without charge. On the other hand, if you use your mobile for national calls it would be wiser to sign a contract. In order to do so, you need to provide:
- Valid proof of identity (not a driving licence)
- Official bank statement
- Bank account (details or card)
Mobile telephony providers in the Netherlands
- Lebara (website in English)
- Expat Mobile (€0,50 a day, No residence permit or Dutch bank account needed)
Are you afraid of breaking or losing your smartphone? Take a look at Simplesurance.
Hints & Tips
- Instead of providing your bank account card you can enter your bank account at the store (Internet banking) and make a copy.
- Check if you can replace your SIM card and keep your current mobile device.
- In case your device gets stolen, you should report it immediately (service provider and police) otherwise you will be charged for any calls made.
- Using your mobile phone while driving is illegal; use a headset, car kit, hands-free devices etc.