Full/Associate Professor in AI and Computational Technologies for Science
Updated: 27 Sep 2023
Do you have the ambition to use and develop new computational techniques from the fields of machine learning and computational science to help understand the physical and natural world? Are you interested to bridge the 3rd (computational) and 4th (data-driven) paradigms of science and connect to scientists from across the natural sciences? We are looking for a full or associate professor to help lead the UvA AI4Science Lab, lead by the Informatics Institute.
We are seeking a candidate to chair the AI4Science Lab either at full professor or associate professor level, depending on qualifications. You are expected to make significant contributions in world-class research and top-quality academic teaching, as well as effective contributions to management and organization of the research group and the Informatics Institute.
The AI4Science lab works closely with the Amsterdam Machine Learning Lab and the Computational Science Lab, and collaborates broadly with researchers in Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy. Your research should focus on developing methods, techniques and approaches from AI and Computational Science to address important scientific challenges. As an informatics institute we are looking for people who both develop and apply new techniques. We invite a wide range of candidates to apply, but examples of suitable profiles could be:
- Understanding and Solving PDEs for Scientific Computing using Machine Learning.
- AI driven Inverse modelling for Scientific Computing.
- Physics-inspired machine learning.
- Causal discovery in scientific data such as genomics data.
Tasks and responsibilities
You are expected to:
- serve as group leader of the AI4Science lab, provide mentoring to PhD students, postdoctoral researchers, and other faculty in the lab, and represent the lab in an administrative capacity at the level of the Institute of Informatics and the Faculty of Science;
- be proactive in establishing collaborations with other institutes and/or companies by contributing your expertise to (joint) research projects;
- carry out fundamental and applied research, publish in high-level international journals and conferences, and supervise PhD students;
- take part in the teaching effort of the institute, supervision of bachelor and master students, and teaching for other departments;
- be active in the attraction of external funding.
Your experience and profile:
- A PhD in computer science or a closely related field;
- Proven ability to engage in cutting-edge research in artificial intelligence (machine learning) and/or computational modelling for scientific applications;
- The ability to provide leadership and mentoring to lab members at all levels of seniority, particularly with an eye to supporting lab members from underrepresented background;
- The capability to initiate and organize new research by identifying innovative research themes, and preferably the contacts necessary to initiate national and international partnerships;
- Proven teaching skills (preferably with a certificate of academic teaching quality) at both the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- An established track record in the acquisition of funded research, attraction of external funding. Experience in valorisation of research, i.e. public outreach, commercialization, and science communication, is preferred;
- Willingness and ability to perform administrative, organisational, and managerial tasks.
We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university and an attractive package of fringe benefits, for instance: generous leave arrangements, application for attractive fiscal arrangements is possible for employees from abroad, attractive retirement benefits, collective health insurance and excellent parental leave packages. The job offer will be according to previous experience.
The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and dependent on relevant experience, for an Associate Professor ranges between € 6,002 to € 8,025 (scale 13-14). For a Full Professor, it ranges between € 6,648 to € 9,680 (scale H2). These salaries do not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance the UvA offers. The UFO profile Senior Lecturer or Professor is applicable. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- Multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- Multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- Partly paid parental leave;
- The possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- A pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- The possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- Help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you’re moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here.
38 hours per week
Science Park 904