Associate professor Security by Design
Updated: 09 Jul 2020
As our reliance on ICT infrastructures increases, so do concerns about their security. The growing complexity and connectivity of ICT systems, ranging from large-scale cloud systems to small embedded and cyber-physical systems as part of the Internet of Things, attract the worldwide attention of an increasingly large number of attackers. The same holds for data being processed with such systems. Data travels through virtualized environments and large systems are often shared between different users, causing new security and integrity challenges that need to be addressed. This makes security a critical aspect that needs to be carefully considered in every phase of the design, implementation, deployment and maintenance of those ICT systems.
We are seeking an established and internationally recognized scholar at the level of Associate professor (depending on qualifications) in the area of System Security by Design.
You will provide an excellent addition to the existing rich research portfolio of the Informatics Institute (IvI). Your focus is on the system and infrastructural aspect of the design and creation of secure ICT, and on the problems related with the secure composition of complex systems, with possible research topics such as Secure System Engineering and Integration, Web Security, Network Security, Secure Data Management, Secure Software Design, Identity, Privacy and Trust Management.
What are you going to do?
You will contribute significantly to novel theories, methodologies, algorithms and tools for designing and developing secure ICT systems and/or securely managing the data exchanged by these systems.
In terms of teaching responsibilities, you will be asked to contribute to IvI’s programs in Informatics (BSc), Security & Network Engineering (MSc), and/or Software Engineering (MSc). Both of these MSc programs have consistently received the ‘Top Program’ designation over the years, implying that they are ranked among the best MSc programs nationwide.
You will also be asked to contribute to organizational tasks in the institute and the new group Security by Design.
What do we require?
- a PhD in computer science or a related discipline;
- proven ability to engage in cutting-edge research in the design and creation of secure ICT systems;
- demonstrated to be a creative and inspiring scientist with excellent managerial qualities and leadership capabilities;
- documented excellence in research through publications in top international conferences and journals;
- the capability to initiate and organise new research by identifying innovative research themes;
- a strong track record in the acquisition of funded research;
- contacts necessary to initiate national and international partnerships, and preferably is already part of an international network;
- experience or is willing to get involved in valorisation of research;
- proven teaching skills, preferably with a certificate of academic teaching quality or (Dutch BKO or equivalent) or otherwise willingness to obtain it, have excellent didactic qualities and affinity with the content of the Bachelors and Master programs in the domain of computer science, security & network engineering, and/or software engineering;
- commitment to stimulating and supervising PhD research;
- willingness and ability to perform administrative, organisational and managerial tasks.
The position will be filled at the level of Associate professor, depending on qualifications. We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university, a starting package with a PhD student and an attractive package of fringe benefits, for instance: generous leave arrangements, application for attractive fiscal arrangements are possible for employees from abroad, attractive retirement benefits, collective health insurance and excellent parental leave packages.
We offer a temporary employment contract. If your performance is positively assessed, the employment contract is converted into a permanent tenured appointment. We offer a career plan towards the next level in the academic career, depending on experience and qualifications.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €5.190 to €6.940 (scale 13-14) gross per month, based on a full-time contract (38 hours a week). These amounts are exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
38 hours per week
Science Park 904