Principal Data Engineer
Updated: 06 Mar 2020
Orange Quarter are working with a company changing the face of how big business approaches sustainability. Working with a vast amount of global environmental data they are designing solutions so global brands can reduce their impact on the planet. They’re born out of the USA’s best known technical university and work largely remotely, with offices in the US and Amsterdam.
What to expect:
You will be designing, architecting and implementing the data infrastructure of the company, as part of the development leadership team. You will work across departments to understand the business requirements and data setup that will provide flexibility and scalability. You will be the first data engineer in the company (30 FTE total), leading Data Analysts, to progress the business to the next phase of their data-driven journey.
- The current data stack includes Python, SQL, AWS, Postgres and Airflow. The Backend is in Java/Kotlin. They are looking to add experience in the likes of Spark, Kafka and Docker
- Ability to work remotely with distributed teams. There is an office in central Amsterdam you can use for work and meetings
- Experience in building and growing a data platform
- Able to visualise and explain a helicopter view to (senior) stakeholders
- A real product development mindset in terms of building features and tools, to be used by Data Analysts and Scientists also
- As mentioned, large amounts of remote work and (almost total) flexibility
- Opportunity to work on definable change in sustainability, including on policy and regulation
- A focus on transparency across the company and with their customers
- High level of responsibility and space to develop products as you see fit