Scenes from a Marriage at the Internationaal Theater Amsterdam
Scenes from a Marriage is the first performance of the Internationaal Theater Amsterdam 2018 / 19 season.
The play was a resounding success ever since its premiere in 2005. Praised by the Guardian as “superbly acted” and “gripping and inventive” for the play’s previous performances, the theatre group is reviving the production. The play is a stage adaptation by Ivo van Hove of Ingmar Bergman’s classic text.
A brief synopsis of Scenes from a Marriage
To sum it up in a brief synopsis: Scenes from a Marriage sees a couple through the past, present and future of their marriage and focuses on basic human needs, the inevitability of vulnerability and our belief in our ability to change. It shows the balancing act between pursuing our own path and trying to please others.
This theatrical performance involves the audience sitting in close proximity to the actors. The characters Johan and Marianne are played by three different actors during different stages of their life.
The performance will be in Dutch with English subtitles.
Scenes from a Marriage credits
Director: Ivo van Hove
Actors (ensemble): Bart Slegers, Celia Nufaar, Hugo Koolschijn, Janni Goslinga
Actors (guest): Alwin Pulinckx, Benjamin de Wit, Camilla Siegertsz, Charlie-Chan Dagelet, Claire Bender, Eva Heijnen, Maartje van de Wetering
Author: Ingmar Bergman
Translation: Karst Woudstra
Dramaturge: Bart Van den Eynde
Scenographer, costumes: Jan Versweyveld
Casting advice: Hans Kemna
Head of technique & production department: Wolf-Götz Schwörer
Scenes from a Marriage on tour
As can be seen in the performance's list of shows, Scenes from a Marriage takes in all parts of the Netherlands during the play's country-wide tour.
- Internationaal Theater Amsterdam: August 17, 18, 21, 22, 24, 25
- Utrecht City Theatre: September 5, 6, 8, 9
- The Hague Royal Theatre: September 13 and 15
- Parktheater Eindhoven: February 6, 8, 9
- Parkstad Limburg Theatre Heerlen: February 13 and 14
- De Warande Turnhout: March 1 and 2
- Theater Rotterdam: March 5 and 6
- Chasse Theater Breda: March 8 and 9
- Arnhem City Theatre: March 12 and 13
- Leeuwarden De Harmonie City Theatre: March 15
- Groningen City Theatre: March 19 and 20
- Theater aan het Vrijthof Maastricht: March 23 and 24
- Theater aan de Parade Den Bosch: March 27 and 28
- Tilburg Theatre: March 30 and 31
About the Internationaal Theater Amsterdam
Amsterdam Stadsschouwburg and Toneelgroup Amsterdam have merged. The 2018 / 19 season is the first instance of them operating under the new name: Internationaal Theater Amsterdam (ITA).
ITA is one of the biggest leaders in Dutch theatre, in collaboration with world famous actors and a ground-breaking team of directors.
ITA performs not only in Amsterdam, but in over 100 venues all around the world. The theatre hosts festivals such as Julidans, the Holland Festival and the Netherlands Theatre Festival.