Inburgeringsexamen - Civic Integration Exam

Inburgeringsexamen - Civic Integration Exam

Inburgeringsexamen - Civic Integration Exam

Most immigrants to the Netherlands from outside the EU have to sit the Inburgeringsexamen (civic integration exams) in order to get a Dutch resident permit or to apply for Dutch citizenship.

Please note that it is also possible to take a Staatsexamen NT2 in either Programma I or Programma II instead. A CNaVT certificate for profile PMT, PPT, PTHO or PAT also exempts you from the Dutch language exams.

Structure of the Inburgeringsexamen

The Inburgeringsexamen is designed to ensure migrants to the Netherlands have a basic understanding of the Dutch language and culture. There are five sections with questions concerning Dutch laws and customs:

  • Knowledge of Dutch society
  • Speaking competence
  • Listening competence
  • Reading competence
  • Writing competence

Inburgeringsexamen levels

Newcomers are tested on all sections at an A2 level, while migrants who have been here for longer are permitted to take the writing and reading competence sections at an A1 level. Check with your gemeente to see if you are considered an "old" or "new" comer.

For more information, go the Inburgeringsexamen section of the DUO website (in Dutch). Many language schools also offer Dutch courses to prepare students for the Inburgeringsexamen.

Read also

  • Dutch courses

    Dutch courses

    Want to learn Dutch? Here’s a list of Dutch language courses all over the Netherlands.
    read more
  • Lawyers & Legal services

    Lawyers & Legal services

    Looking for legal advice or services in English? Here is a list of expat-friendly Dutch and international law firms, lawyers and advisors in the Netherlands.
    read more
  • Staatsexamen NT2

    Staatsexamen NT2

    Information and tips about the Staatsexamen NT2 Programma I
 and I
I, including exams, marking and results.
    read more
  • CNaVT - Dutch as a Foreign Language Certificate

    CNaVT - Dutch as a Foreign Language Certificate

    Learn more about the CNaVT (Certificate Nederlands als Vreemde Taal), its exams and programmes for foreigners.
    read more
  • Residence permit

    Residence permit

    A guide to residence permits in the Netherlands including requirements, application procedure, documents, costs, the MVV, rejection, extension and more.
    read more
  • Work permit

    Work permit

    Here's information about the work permit in the Netherlands including types and requirements.
    read more
  • Dutch citizenship

    Dutch citizenship

    Information about Dutch citizenship including naturalisation, dual nationality, requirements, benefits, costs, how to apply and permanent residency.
    read more
  • The Dutch passport

    The Dutch passport

    Find out how to apply for a Dutch passport, its requirements, fees, validity and more.
    read more
  • Working in the Netherlands

    Working in the Netherlands

    Are you working or moving to the Netherlands to find a job? Here's what expats need to know about working as employees for international or Dutch companies.
    read more
  • Studying in the Netherlands

    Studying in the Netherlands

    Are you planning to study in the Netherlands? Learn everything you need to know about Dutch higher education and universities in the Netherlands.
    read more