Assistant Professor in Law (Tenure Track)
Updated: 25 Sep 2023
We are looking for an engaged and ambitious assistant professor in law to work, primarily, within the Law Group's research theme on food. Are you a promising legal scholar with an interest in interdisciplinary research in the law related to our living environment? Then please apply!
We are looking for people who are interested in exploring how law can contribute to transformative changes to our living environment, with a view to create a more sustaining and sustainable future. A background in European Union law is especially relevant for the work of the group.
We are particularly interested in scholars with a background in food law, intellectual property law, animal or plant law, digitalization and AI, agricultural law, or health law; we are open to other backgrounds with demonstrable relevance for the food research theme.
You will be responsible for cursory and non-cursory education activities of the Law Group and contributing to the development of the Law Group’s and WUR’s education policy. You will develop, supervise and carry out global-level high-quality research in collaboration with your own international network, as well as with colleagues at the Law Group and Wageningen University. You will publish regularly in leading international academic journals. Over the medium term, you will be supported to develop individual research grant applications to the Dutch Innovational Research Incentives Scheme and the European Research Council.
The Law Group combines scholars with expertise on environmental law, food law, human rights law, EU law, WTO law, intellectual property rights law, and consumer law. You will be encouraged to collaborate with colleagues across these themes in the development of legal research linked to the living environment, as described in our Chair Plan 2021-2025. You are a personable, social colleague willing to balance your personal research interests with those of the group.
You will contribute to strongly internationally oriented teaching programmes at Wageningen University. You will be expected to participate in existing and future courses in the MSc Food Law & Regulatory Affairs progam, offered by the Law Group.
The successful candidate will proceed through the tenure track system at Wageningen University. You will be encouraged to reach the level of Professor in your field by establishing an internationally visible independent research line with a societal impact.
In line with WUR’s Tenure Track criteria, successful candidates must have:
- a PhD degree in law and expertise of demonstrable relevance to the food research theme;
- a vision of the social and scientific significance of the field of expertise, as is also demonstrated by the candidate’s activities;
- willingness to contribute to the food research theme and the broader research agenda of the Group;
- a publishing record in peer reviewed international academic literature;
- capacity to initiate funding opportunities, and some experience in project acquisition and management;
- experience and affinity with delivering and designing high quality education at BSc and MSc levels, including supervising BSc and MSc students. The ideal candidate should be in possession of the Dutch university teaching qualification (UTQ) or equivalent;
- experience or interest in conducting PhD daily supervision;
- affinity with WUR’s mission to improve the living environment and related social challenges, and a vision on how law and the Law Group can play a role in this mission, and the research opportunities this provides;
- demonstrated interest or ability to work in an interdisciplinary research environment;
- proven capacity to develop an international network;
- excellent communication and social skills;
- strong ability to work effectively with others.
This position requires an excellent English language proficiency (a minimum of CEFR C2 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page
We offer a tenure-track position at Assistant Professor level or 38 hours per week (1 fte), which leads to a permanent employment contract after a positive assessment by the tenure track committee. Academics on the tenure track are expected to spend 40% of their time on research, 40% on teaching and 20% on management tasks. Appointments at 0.8 fte are also possible.
Candidates who qualify for a higher step on the tenure track ladder (as assessed against Wageningen’s tenure track criteria) are also encouraged to apply.
Training and mentorship during the Tenure Track is aimed to lead to the position of Full Professor. Career steps follow an assessment of performance at predefined times by a tenure track committee. More information on the Wageningen Tenure Track System can be found here.
This is a challenging position with, depending on your experience, a competitive salary from a minimum of € 4.332,- to a maximum of € 5.929,- for a full working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement Dutch Universities (scale 11).
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- a choice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- use of sports facilities on campus.
Wageningen University & Research stimulates internal career opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are ample opportunities for own initiative in a learning environment. We offer a versatile job in an international environment with varied activities in a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
38 hours per week