Postdoctoral Researcher in Computational Intelligence
Updated: 23 Jun 2022
As a postdoctoral researcher, you are part of the Computational Intelligence Group (https://cs.vu.nl/ci/) of the Computer Science department at VU. We address fundamental issues about how to design, use and understand autonomous machines that can evolve, learn, and self-organize. We are interested in embodied intelligence that is not hosted in an abstract digital entity but has a 'body' and agency that makes it capable of acting in the world, generating its own experiences, and learning from these experiences. As a postdoc researcher, you boost our research on how to combine (Deep) Reinforcement Learning with Evolutionary Algorithms for embodied robots, while considering the benefits of sparsity. You do your research in the Hybrid Intelligence (https://www.hybrid-intelligence-centre.nl/) project. You work in close collaboration with the other team members: Dr Karine Miras (https://research.vu.nl/en/persons/karine-da-silva-miras-de-araujo), Dr Decebal Mocanu (https://people.utwente.nl/d.c.mocanu), and Prof Dr Agoston Eiben (https://www.cs.vu.nl/~gusz/).
Our facilities (used for research as well as teaching) include a robot lab with different hardware platforms, such as e-puck, Thymio II, Robobo, Crazyflie 2.0, and our custom-made evolvable robots. Furthermore, we have a cluster of powerful computers designated for simulation experiments. The research of our team members is regularly published at top conferences and journals, for example GECCO, IJCAI, NeurIPS, Nature Communications, Evolutionary Computation, Neurocomputing.
- you pioneer research, in collaboration with the Hybrid Intelligence project and members of the team
- you supervise students
- you publish your research in top journals
- a PhD degree in a relevant field
- experience (including publications) with either (Deep) Reinforcement Learning (RL) or Evolutionary Algorithms (EA). You are familiar with at least one of these, and are willing to learn the other one
- interest in combining RL with EAs
- you can work work in an interdisciplinary setting
- you work independently, but you are also open to feedback
- experience with robots is a plus
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,561 (scale 10) and a maximum €4,490 (scale 10), depending on your education and experience. The job profile researcher lv. 4 is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE. The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year. After positive a evaluation an extention of 1,5 years will be given.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you want to discuss whether your qualifications are satisfactory for applying to the position. We encourage women to apply for this position.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
32 hours per week
De Boelelaan 1105