Frank de Boer steps down as coach for Dutch football team
As was widely expected after the Netherlands’ disappointing loss against the Czech Republic last weekend, Frank de Boer has stood as head coach for the national team.
De Boer steps down as coach for the Netherlands
At a press conference directly after the match on June 27, De Boer hinted that he would like to remain in his position, saying it was too early to evaluate his future in the role. However, after conversations with the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB) this week, it was decided that the 51-year-old would be taking a step back after less than a year in the role.
De Boer’s had been contracted to stay on in the role of coach for the Netherlands until the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, but after failing to meet the goal set for the Orange team and reach the quarter-finals, De Boer’s future was reevaluated on Tuesday.
Who will be the next coach for the national team?
He told the KNVB that he did not wish to continue in the role, and together they agreed that it was better to make the decision quickly and to part ways now. “I have decided not to continue as national coach,” De Boer said in a statement published on the KNVB website. While he said his appointment as national coach was a great honour, he felt increasing pressure to perform and acknowledged that this wasn’t good for the (mental) health of himself or the squad.
The KNVB hopes to appoint a successor by September 1, in time for the Dutch team’s qualifier match against Norway. Pundits have thrown a couple of names into the ring, namely Louis van Gaal, Erik ten Haag, and Peter Bosz, but acknowledge that it will be a difficult decision, as many of the obvious choices are unavailable and working with international clubs.
Perhaps the KNVB will consider international talent for the position, but the German national coach Joachim Löw - who is soon to be replaced by Hansi Flick - has already said he has no interest in the position.