Working in the Netherlands: Which documents do you need?

Working in the Netherlands: Which documents do you need?

Paid partnership

Dutch Umbrella Company is an IND-certified sponsor with a specialist team offering extensive knowledge and experience to help skilled professionals migrate to, and work in, the Netherlands.

You’re starting your job as a highly skilled migrant in the Netherlands. Good for you! It’s fun to live and work here! But prior to starting your job, it’s crucial to have a few important documents sorted out. In this article, we talk about which documents you need, why they are so important, and, of course, how to obtain them.

Which documents do I need if I’ll be working in the Netherlands?

You will need the following documents if you want to work in the Netherlands:

A Citizen Service Number (BSN or Burgerservicenummer)

A Dutch citizen service number is mandatory if you want to start working in the Netherlands. Everyone living here is obliged to register at their local municipality to be entered in the Basisregistratie personen (BRP) or Personal Records Database in English. This database contains information about everyone living in, working in and leaving the Netherlands.

Your BSN will be issued to you when you first register. This number is a unique code linked to your personal data and information. It is needed for all contact with the Dutch government, health insurers and employers.

A Dutch bank account

A Dutch bank account is mandatory if you want to work in the Netherlands. Mainly because your salary will be deposited into your Dutch bank account. It is important that you always have access to financial means, without having to rely on social security. This is why it is necessary to open a Dutch IBAN bank account.

The right residence documents or work permits

You need to have the right residence documents before you can start working here. If you are from a country that is not Switzerland or part of the EU / EER, there are several ways to obtain a residence or working permit:

Working in the Netherlands for less than 90 days

If you wish to work in the Netherlands for a period shorter than 90 days, you need a short stay visa and a complementing work permit (TWV). The visa can be obtained via the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). The TWV can be obtained via the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). The UWV assesses the application in relation to the demand for the relevant job on the Dutch labour market.

Working in the Netherlands for over 90 days

If you wish to work in the Netherlands for a period of over 90 days, your employer can apply for a combined permit for residence and work (GVVA). Your employer submits a request to the IND, whereupon the IND asks the UWV for a recommendation regarding the scarcity on the Dutch labour market. The GVVA consists of a residence document and a complementing document that states for which employer you may work.

Exceptions & more

So in short: the IND is responsible for granting you a permit of residence and the UWV grants the working permit. However, there are some exceptions. For example, the permit for highly skilled migrants and the orientation year for highly educated persons. Regardless of the permit you want to request, you will always need to have:

  • A valid passport or form of identification
  • An antecedents certificate
  • A medical examination in the Netherlands for tuberculosis (TB)

Are there any conditions that apply to migrants that are not from Switzerland or the EU/EER?

Yes. There are several conditions that apply to migrants who are not from the EU/EER or Switzerland. If this is the situation you’re in, the following conditions apply:

  • You must be in possession of an employment contract with an employer or research institution that is a recognised sponsor by the Dutch Immigration & Naturalisation Services (IND).
  • You need to earn sufficient income and you will need to prove this.

The monthly salary requirements (2019, excluding 8% holiday payment) for highly skilled migrants in the Netherlands are:

  • Highly skilled migrant, 30 years and older: € 4.500
  • Highly skilled migrant, younger than 30 years: € 3.299
  • Highly skilled migrant, after orientation year for highly educated persons, graduation, PhD or scientific research: € 2.364


To save yourself any hassle, be aware of the fact that the responsibility for issuing the aforementioned documents and paperwork is both yours and your employer’s.

Do you have more questions regarding the obliged paperwork prior to your start in the Dutch work field? Don’t hesitate to contact Dutch Umbrella Company. They are happy to help you out!



Theo Kruyswijk



Leave a comment