Dutch universities in top 100 of Best Global Universities ranking
Best Global Universities ranking
This year, U.S. News looked at more universities than in the previous year, namely 1.250 institutions from 74 countries. To create the ranking, the institutions were measured against 13 different indicators, which assess research performance and reputation globally and regionally.
The indicators did not have an equal weighting and included:
- Total citations
- Normalised citation impact
- Internal collaboration
- Global research reputation
- Regional research reputation
- No. of publications amongst the top 10 percent most cited
- Percentage of total publications amongst the top 10 percent most cited
- Percentage of total publications with internal collaboration
- No. of highly cited papers amongst the top 1 percent most cited in their respective field
- Percentage of total publications amongst the top 1 percent of most highly cited papers
Top universities in the Netherlands
The following Dutch universities did very well in the Global Universities ranking:
- University of Amsterdam
The University of Amsterdam took the top spot in the Netherlands with an overall score of 71,4 out of 100, and 55th place worldwide. The University of Amsterdam did particularly well on the regional research reputation indicator, placing 13th globally. Coincidentally, the University of Amsterdam also placed 13th in Europe.
- Utrecht University
Utrecht University did well, taking second place in the Netherlands and 57th place globally with a score of 71,3. As with the University of Amsterdam, Utrecht University also performed well on the regional research reputation factor, taking 26th place. Utrecht University scored highly on the number of publications amongst the top 10 percent cited, ranking at number 34. In Europe, Utrecht University ranked 14th.
- Erasmus University Rotterdam
Taking third place in the Netherlands and 73rd place globally is Erasmus University Rotterdam, scoring 69,3. Erasmus University Rotterdam scored 53rd place for the percentage of total publications amongst the top 10 percent most cited and 54th place for normalised citation impact. Erasmus University Rotterdam took 19th place in Europe.
Other Dutch universities in the ranking
Dutch universities amongst the top 100 of the Best Global Universities ranking additionally included Leiden University, VU University Amsterdam, Wageningen University and Research Center and the University of Groningen.
Radboud University Nijmegen just missed out on a spot in the top 100, coming in at number 101. The Dutch universities who ranked lowest are the University of Twente and Tilburg University, coming in at 319th and 491st place respectively.
Global ranking Dutch universities
Here you can see how Dutch universities performed in the Netherlands, along with the global ranking they received:
- University of Amsterdam, 55
- Utrecht University, 57
- Erasmus University Rotterdam, 73
- Leiden University, 79
- VU University Amsterdam, 85
- Wageningen University and Research Center, 88
- University of Groningen, 94
- Radboud University Nijmegen, 101
- Delft University of Technology, 164
- Maastricht University, 167
- Eindhoven University of Technology, 290
- University of Twente, 319
- Tilburg University, 491
Top 10 Best Global Universities
The top 10 Best Global Universities are as follows:
- Harvard University, USA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- University of California - Berkley, USA
- University of Oxford, UK
- California Institute of Technology, USA
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Columbia University, USA
- Princeton University, USA
- John Hopkins University, USA
John Hopkins University shares 10th place with the University of Washington and Yale University, both situated in the USA. The Universities tied in last place of the ranking are Hubei University and Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, both in China.
For more figures visit U.S. News.