Postdoctoral researcher in Mathematical Logic
Updated: 16 Sep 2020
The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) is looking for an exceptional researcher in the area of Mathematical Logic to hold a one-year postdoctoral position within the project 'The Logic of Conceivability [LoC]. Modelling Rational Imagination With Non-Normal Modal Logics'. This is a 5-year project (2017-2022) funded with 2.000.000 Euros by the European Research Council, and led by Principal Investigator (PI) Prof. Franz Berto.
A short description of the LoC project can be found here.
The postdoc will work within the subproject 'Core Theory & applications' and will be employed full-time for one year. This subproject is about developing the Core LoC theory and addressing the open problems the project is meant to tackle: the problem of logical omniscience in epistemic logic, the problem of Information overload, and the problem of how to model moderately rational cognitive agents. A list of published LoC research papers can be found here.
This will be a pure research position, with the postdoc expected to:
- present intermediate research results at international workshops and conferences;
- deliver excellent publications in cooperation with the PI and the other project members;
- help with all the organizational tasks connected to the project, including:
- the organization and attendance of a regular LoC project seminar;
- the organization of a major LoC Conference in 2021;
- the maintenance of the interactive project web site;
- the dissemination of results to non-specialists as planned in the LoC project.
- PhD in Mathematical Logic and expertise in at least two areas between Philosophical logic, Cognitive science, Philosophy of mind, and the Psychology of reasoning;
- research works testifying the capacity to publish regularly in top journals;
- strong willingness to help with all the organizational duties connected to the LoC project;
- strong cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research;
- excellent command of English.
The selected Postdoctoral researcher will be employed at the University of Amsterdam’s Faculty of Humanities within the Department of Philosophy and will execute the research in the ILLC. The employment contract will be for 38 hours per week (1,0 FTE) for a period of 1 year. The intended starting date is 1 April 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. The gross monthly salary may range from €3,491 to €4,262 depending on experience and qualifications, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
38 hours per week