Choosing the right location for your new house in the Netherlands
Looking for a house in the Netherlands? Here's a list with some issues to consider:
› Public transportation
- What is the public transport like in the area?
- How far is the nearest metro / tram / bus station?
› Moving around
- Are streets, sidewalks and alleys well maintained?
- Is there allocated parking? How difficult is to get a parking permission?
- Is this a good neighbourhood for cycling? Are there sufficient bicycle lanes and stands?
- What about traffic volume?
› Local amenities
- Which hospitals, doctors and dentists are located in the wider area?
- How far is the nearest bank / ATM?
- Any (night) shops / shopping centers / kiosks nearby?
- Are there leisure facilities (parks, gyms, sport centers etc.) in the neighbourhood?
- Is the area noisy? Is it near main roads, railway / tram lines or flight paths? Any noisy clubs, pubs or restaurants around?
- What is the condition of nearby properties? Any constructions to be expected?
- Are there any known plans for development in the wider area?
- What is the crime level like in the area?
- Is there enough street light at night?
- Are there any parks around? Past incidents could work as a crime indicator.
- Walk around the property. What do passengers say about the neighbourhood?
- What are the neighbours like?
- Does it feel like a friendly community?
- Any churches or other places of worship close by?
› Other issues
- What are the local schools like? Any international schools around?
- What about the local economy? Any new / classy / fashionable shops, restaurants or bars recently opened? Their price levels may be a good indicator.
- How far are the garbage collectors?
- Are there any constructions or skyscrapers? Will the house continue to get enough natural light?
Looking for the right location
› Visit the websites of various rental agencies and spot all properties you are interested in.
› Choose an online dictionary / translation website.
› Check their location in Google maps.
› Visit Journey Planner to find information about transportation in the wider area.
› Estimate how far is the apartment from your:
- university / hogeschool
- relatives / friends
› Look & Apply for the perfect house!