Cafe Theatre Festival
Due to the measures in place due to the coronavirus please check the official page of this event for any possible further details on cancellation / postponement.
Cafe Theatre Festival is a yearly event that blends theatre with cafe life in Dutch cities, turning everyday Dutch cafes into places where something out-of-the-ordinary takes place, where the most unlikely customer sitting across from you may turn out to be a character from a captivating tale.
Check the Cafe Theatre Festival website for the participating cafes and the exact day-to-day timetable of the various shows. Here are the dates and cities of Cafe Theatre Festival 2020:
- Utrecht March 5-8
- Zwolle March 20-22
- Tilburg April 3-5
Pay what you can
There is no set entrance fee, but Cafe Theatre Festival accepts donations of 4 euros, 7 euros or 10 euros which can be paid on the way out by cash or card. Pay what you can and you will be helping to keep a long-running festival alive.
Things to keep in mind at Cafe Theatre Festival
- Most of the festival is in Dutch but there are many theatre shows in English.
- Check the electronic timetable to see if your cafe of choice still has enough space for you to fit in.
- It is recommended to arrive at your venue of choice 15-20 minutes before the theatre show is due to start.
- Make sure you don't stand in front of a closed door, so visitors and actors can move about freely.
- Check the programme for wheelchair accessibility.
- Shows last a maximum of 30 minutes.
Plan your visit
Plan your visit to Cafe Theatre Festival. There is an extensive programme in English for those who would prefer this option. Otherwise, there are plenty more performances in Dutch.
Image credit: Jan Willem Groen