Registering a birth in the Netherlands

Registering a birth in the Netherlands

Any child born in the Netherlands must be registered within three days of the birth at the local municipality office, within the department of municipal population affairs. If one of these three days is a weekend or a public holiday in the Netherlands then you are allowed a total of two working days in order to register the birth.

Registering a child born in the Netherlands

A birth certificate will then be drawn up for your child, ensuring that it has been legally recognised. The father of the child is obliged to do this, but if he is unable to do so then there are exceptions given to:

  • Anyone present at the birth of the child.
  • The owner of the house where the child was born.
  • An authorised person of the establishment where the birth occurred.

When these options have been exhausted, a representative of the Mayor's office may also register the birth of a child.

Documents when registering a birth in the Netherlands

When registering a birth in the Netherlands, one should present / declare the following:

  • Identification for both the father and the mother.
  • The date and time of the birth.
  • A marriage certificate if the mother is married.
  • In some cases, proof of the birth from a doctorhospital or midwife.

Registering a child born abroad

If your child was born outside of the Netherlands and you would like to have it registered then you must present a legalised birth certificate at your local municipality office.

Declaration of paternity

  • If a couple are married at the time of the birth of their child then the father is granted automatic paternity and becomes the child's lawful father, regardless of whether he is the child's biological father or not.
  • If the couple are not married or have a registered partnership, then the father must declare paternity by acknowledging the child at the local municipality.

Important notes on declaring paternity in the Netherlands

  • Even if the father does not acknowledge the child, he must still provide for it.
  • The child also has the right to inherit from the father, regardless of acknowledgement.
  • Acknowledgement of a child under 16 requires the consent of the mother.
  • Acknowledgement of a child over 12 also requires the consent of the child.

Read also