Partnership & Cohabitation in the Netherlands

Partnership & Cohabitation in the Netherlands

Partnership & Cohabitation in the Netherlands

Expats who don’t want to get married in the Netherlands may opt for a registered partnership or a cohabitation agreement.

Registered partnership

For couples who want to enjoy the social benefits of marriage, but don't want to have a traditional marriage, it is possible to have a registered partnership. Registered partnership gives the couple essentially the same rights that a married couple might have in the Netherlands.

The key difference in the two comes when a couple in a registered partnership have a child. If the father would like to become the lawful father of the child then he has to declare this at the office of the municipality.

Note that if the couple is married then the husband is automatically designated as the child's lawful father.

Registering a partnership from outside of the Netherlands

A registered partnership granted outside of the Netherlands must be registered within the Netherlands. In order to do so, the relevant documents can be presented and authenticated at the local municipality office. However, note that the rules and regulations regarding the registered partnership in the country of origin must match those of the Netherlands.

Cohabitation agreement

If marriage or a registered partnership do not suit your needs, then a final option would be to make a cohabitation agreement.

Cohabitation agreements are ideal for couples in the Netherlands who live together and wish to share their finances and assets, for example, bank accounts, properties bought, or mortgages. It is common for this agreement, or contract, to be drawn up by a notary, although this is only necessary if the couple wants to benefit from a partner pension scheme.

Read also

  • Marriage in the Netherlands

    Marriage in the Netherlands

    Thinking of getting married in the Netherlands? Learn about marriage and other issues such as marriage registration, criteria, notices and Dutch ceremonies.
    read more
  • Family & Kids

    Family & Kids

    Information about family and kids for expats in the Netherlands including childcare and daycare, getting married, partnership, divorce, birth and adoption.
    read more
  • Same-sex marriage

    Same-sex marriage

    Couples of the same sex or gender identity can get married in the Netherlands or opt for a registered partnership or a cohabitation agreement.
    read more
  • Divorce & Separation

    Divorce & Separation

    Info on ending marriage, registered partnership and cohabitation agreement in the Netherlands. Maintenance, pensions and children in divorce and separation.
    read more
  • Lawyers & Legal services

    Lawyers & Legal services

    In need of legal advice or services in English? Here is a list of expat-friendly Dutch and international law firms, lawyers and advisors in the Netherlands.
    read more
  • Dutch municipality (Gemeente)

    Dutch municipality (Gemeente)

    A municipality, town hall or city council is known in Dutch as a gemeente.
    read more
  • Official issues

    Official issues

    There are some issues expats in the Netherlands need to deal with e.g. permits, visas, citizenship, passport, registration, BSN, DigiD, banking and more.
    read more