Tenure-track assistant professors in Business and Society Management
Updated: 06 Sep 2023
Solidify your contribution to research and teaching in the area of business and society management. As one of our two newest faculty members, you’re invited to join the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (EUR) as tenure track assistant professor in the department of Business-Society Management (B-SM) on September 1, 2024 or at your earliest convenience.
As assistant professor on the tenure track or associate professor, you contribute to our research and teaching activities. In the B-SM department, we conduct world-class research on how business can contribute to addressing the great societal challenges of our time. Challenges like climate change and social inequality.
We offer our own, world-class master programme, the MSc Global Business and Sustainability study, and we’re currently setting up a second programme, the online MSc Sustainability Management. The department also contributes to undergraduate, MBA, MPhil and PhD programmes at RSM.
Our department was established over 20 years ago and was one of the first business and society departments in a leading European business school. Ours currently ranks among the best MSc programmes in Europe in terms of research productivity and societal impact.
Our research is multi-disciplinary in nature, and we use a diverse set of theories and methods to study current topics surrounding ethical, social and sustainable forms of management and organisation.
Current full-time faculty of the department includes Professors Joep Cornelissen, Flore Bridoux, Marius van Dijke, Tine de Moor, Lucas Meijs, and Doctors Steve Kennedy, Guido Berens, Mirjam Werner, Emilio Marti, Corinna Frey-Heger, Pietro Versari, Tony Choi, Khadija van der Straaten, Jan Lodge, Thomas Bauwens and Ferran Torres. In addition, our department greatly benefits from visiting faculty on a regular basis.
Our faculty members regularly publish in top-tier journals such as the Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of International Business Studies, Academy of Management Annals, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, and Organization Studies. Our faculty are also actively involved in the academic leadership of scholarly associations (such as IABS, AOM, EGOS, SAMS, and SMS) and serve on editorial teams and boards of leading journals in the field.
Please visit our website for more information: https://www.rsm.nl/faculty-research/departments/business-society-management/
Your main tasks
In our department, you:
- conduct impactful research aimed at top-tier journals in management.
- contribute to business-society management through: teaching our talented international students; and engaging with external organisations.
- contribute to the further development of RSM, and in particular to the department of Business and Society Management.
- engage with RSM’s mission to be a force for positive change in the world.
We are looking for candidates with:
- a PhD in management and organisation or a closely related field (PhD students in their final year are also invited to apply).
- an expertise in management research geared towards addressing important societal and/or environmental issues. Priorities will be given to candidates whose research covers 1) social entrepreneurship, enterprises and innovation or 2) international business and sustainability.
- a strong commitment to high-quality and impactful research as well as an indication of ability to publish in top management and business journals.
- extraordinary teaching skills that will contribute to the department’s top-class education at undergraduate, master, MBA, and PhD levels.
- full professional proficiency in English
Your required competences
- An inspired, ambitious and competent researcher, with a strong commitment to high-quality research
- Enthusiastic about teaching, and an able presenter
- Familiar with online education platforms and with techniques for inspiring successful blended learning
- Possess strong English language skills at C1 level, in both writing and speaking
- Value research with practical relevance that is impactful to academics and practitioners alike
- An appreciation for academic research that is linked to real-world problems, and that can create impact for both the academic community and the business community
A tenure track assistant professor position with a tenure decision after six years. Tenure decisions are based on individual performance. This is a full-time position (1.0 FTE) with a contract for 38 hours per week.
The conditions of employment comply with the collective labour agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). Salary is subject to training and experience and may vary from a minimum of € 4,332 gross per month and up to a maximum of € 5,929 gross per month (scale 11 CAO NU), based on a full-time contract of 38 hours. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants (i.e. the 30% tax ruling). Erasmus University Rotterdam has attractive employment conditions, which include a holiday allowance of 8%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a generous number of vacation days.
RSM guarantees 50% research time and additional teaching reductions during the tenure track and onwards given a reasonable performance level. These benefits enable us to offer you an exceptional research environment for top journal publications as well as a teaching portfolio that is just tailored for your expertise.
EUR offers all employees an annual personal career budget which can be used to advance your skills and competences. There are lots of training, development and coaching opportunities at EUR too.
Erasmus University Rotterdam aspires to be an equitable and inclusive community. We nurture an open culture, where everyone is supported to fulfil their full potential. We see inclusivity of talent as the basis of our successes, and the diversity of perspectives and people as a highly valued outcome. EUR provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, functional impairment, citizenship, or any other aspect which makes them unique. We look forward to welcoming you to our community.
38 hours per week
Burgemeester Oudlaan 50