Tenure track faculty position in experimental quantum matter and optics
Updated: 01 Jun 2021
The Leiden Institute of Physics (LION) offers a faculty position in experimental quantum matter and optics, with a research emphasis on electronic properties. The successful candidate will have the freedom to develop an independent research program in this broad field, connecting to and expanding on existing research at LION. Our own research in this area ranges from (engineered) quantum materials to quantum optics and photon-matter interactions, reaching out to the physics of energy as well as to chemistry. There will be full access to our joint infrastructure, which includes extensive thin film preparation, nanolithography (including EBPG and FIB), magnetotransport facilities below 1 K, and microscopy techniques such as low-temperature STM, LEEM, AFM, break junctions, and various single-molecule fluorescence techniques.
LION and Leiden University attach much importance to diversity. Also the Ministry for Education, Culture and Science, which is funding the position, strives for gender balance in tenured positions. To further this goal, at present only applications from women will be taken under consideration.
Appointments at associate or full professor level may be considered for truly outstanding candidates.
- Establishing an independent, internationally recognized research line, with publications in leading scientific journals;
- Successful acquisition of external funds through research grants;
- Teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level in physics;
- Supervision of BSc and MSc students in their research projects;
- Contribution to the management and organization of the institute;
- Co-responsibility for a collegial atmosphere in which high-level science can thrive.