Assistant professor on Industrial Ecology
Updated: 16 Sep 2019
Project descriptionThe Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML) of Leiden University aspires to be the center of excellence for strategic and quantitative research and education on sustainable use and governance of natural resources and biodiversity. Amongst others, CML wil start a new MSc programme Governance of Sustainability by September 2019 aiming to educate future change agents to improve the quality of governance solutions to major sustainability issues. Courses will be co-taught with colleagues from the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs. Staff members of CML teaching in this and other BSc and MSc programmes provide students with the natural science perspective on wicked sustainability challenges, while keeping a close eye on and integrating societal perspectives. In line with the vision of Leiden University of a strong link between research and teaching, we strive to a balance between these activities although at the start of the appointment more emphasis will be on teaching. Besides this position, CML is also looking for:
- Assistant professor on Biodiversity assessment in times of global change
- Assistant professor on Aquatic ecosystem management
Key responsibilitiesIndustrial ecology studies the society’s metabolism to design sustainable solutions. Within this position, quantitative analysis of industrial ecological principles is coupled to governance solutions.
- Develop courses and teach within the new MSc Governance of Sustainability programme the knowledge and skills related on resources management and its governance. This implies teaching concepts of e.g. material flows through society and the link to sustainability issues, circular economy and tools to quantify these and link these concepts to the governance of resources. Courses will be co-taught will colleagues that are experts in the field of governance;
- Supervise (BSc and) MSc students in their thesis work;
- Establish your own research line within the topics mentioned above – complementary but connected to ongoing research lines within the department of Industrial Ecology of CML, leading to successful acquisition of research grants and publications in leading scientific journals.
- Willingness to attain within two years, a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ; BKO in Dutch);
- Strong communication and teaching skills;
- Interest in teaching within a transdisciplinary context;
- A doctorate in industrial ecology , sustainability or environmental sciences or a related field;
- Proficiency in English (writing and oral);
- Quantitative skills in data analysis and modelling;
- A proven interest in the interaction between sustainability and society;
- Proven acquisition capabilities.
We offer a fixed-term position up to six years (depending on qualifications), with a possibility of a tenured position depending on funding and performance. Salary range from €3,545 to €5,513 gross per month (pay scale 11 or 12 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
36 - 38 hours per week