Postdoc on: Deep Removal of CO2 and InnoVative Electrification concepts (DRIVE)
Updated: 01 Oct 2023
Details of the overall project
This project is part of European Clean Energy Transition Partnership (CETP) programme and includes partners from 7 countries. DRIVE contributes to a carbon neutral society by demonstrating technologies for deep removal of CO2 from industrial sources, in thermally- and electrochemically-driven processes, at TRLs 5-7. DRIVE will provide for the first time a holistic evaluation of deep removal technologies comprising technical, economic and environmental analysis and validation in long-time tests at real industrial conditions.
Details of the specific PD-project (2 years)
The TU/e postdoc is involved in the indirect electrochemical regeneration process (Zero-Emissions Ultra-Stripping) developed by Hovyu (Dutch partner). In this concept carbonate and bicarbonate solutions are mixed in a neutralization tank with a weak acid forming the corresponding organic salts and up to 10 bars of CO2. Then the organic salt is treated in an electrochemical cell to generate the hydroxide and acid solutions. The applied organic acids are industrially produced by fermentation and are present in the fermentation broth in the form of organic salts. An electromembrane process is then used to recover and concentrate the organic acid.
The challenge of this PD project is to develop bipolar membranes (BPMs) using sophisticated methods such as electrospinning, that are used for water spitting to produce the acid and base and to optimize the electrochemical cell design in order to minimize the energy demand.
Membrane Materials and Processes at Eindhoven University of Technology
The research will be conducted at the research group Membrane Materials and Processes (MM/P) part of the Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry at the TU/e (The Netherlands).
The research group MM/P focuses on the design, development, characterization and application of polymer membranes to control mass transport in sustainable processes. The research combines and integrates materials chemistry, materials engineering and process technology. Application areas are water and energy, with a strong focus on the recovery and reuse of resources, the valorization of waste streams and energy efficiency. 'Closing cycles' and 'value from waste' are leading themes in the research program. Next to fundamental academic research, application-oriented research in close collaboration with the industry is stimulated.
The TU/e offers academic education that is driven by fundamental and applied research. We combine scientific curiosity with a hands-on mentality. Our educational philosophy is based on personal attention and room for individual ambitions and talents. Our research meets the highest international standards of quality. We push the limits of science, which puts us at the forefront of rapidly emerging areas of research.
- We are looking for a talented, motivated and enthusiastic researcher.
- Preferably, candidates have a strong background and interest in both chemistry and chemical engineering with experience in synthetic chemistry, physical chemistry and materials engineering or mechanical engineering.
- Candidates should have a scientific attitude combined with a hands-on mentality and interest for application-oriented research at industrial partner locations.
- Analytical skills, initiative and creativity are valuable properties.
- You are a naturally curious person who is eager to learn more and has a strong interest in research.
- Excellent communication skills in English are a prerequisite.
- We prefer candidates with a good team spirit, who like to work in an internationally oriented, social environment.
An interview, a scientific presentation and a writing assignment are part of the selection procedure.
- We offer challenging jobs in a highly motivated team at a dynamic and ambitious university. You will work with innovative analytic equipment and you will be part of a highly profiled multidisciplinary collaboration where expertise of a variety of disciplines comes together.
- The TU/e is located in one of the smartest regions of the world en part of the European technology hotspot 'Brainport Eindhoven'; well-known because of many high-tech industries and start-ups. A place to be for talented scientists!
- Full-time employment for 2 years.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10 (min. €3,877 max. €5,090).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
38 hours per week
De Rondom 70