Mauritshuis - The BuildingExhibitions / The Hague
27 June 2014 - 04 January 2014, Daily 10am - 6pm; Thurs. until 8pm
The Mauritshuis in The Hague, one of the most renowned museums in the Netherlands, is reopening its doors to the public after almost two years of renovations at the end of June!
The Mauritshuis & Dutch treasures
With nearly 800 paintings, The Mauritshuis is one of the most important museums in the world.
The collection consists of a number Dutch treasures including Johannes Vermeer's masterpiece Girl with a Pearl Earring, Rembrandt van Rijn's Anatomy Lesson, Carel Fabritius' The Goldfinch and Jan Steen's As the Old Sing, So Pipe the Young.
These legendary works that compose the Royal Picture Gallery are housed in the former residence of Count Johan Maurits van Nassau-Siegen.
The 17th-century building serves as a starting point for the "Vermeer Trail," which includes key locations of significance related to the artist's work and life.
Mauritshuis renovations and reopening
Since 2012, the Mauritshuis has been undergoing extensive renovations to become better suited to accomodate the influx of visitors that arrived after it became a museum.
Performed by Amsterdam-based architecture firm Hans van Heeswijk Architects, the renovations include:
› a new subterranean lobby
› the new Royal Dutch Shell Wing
› renovation of the 17th-century exterior
› an almost doubling of available space
› a new entrance at the front courtyard
› the Art Workshop space
› a new location and design for the museum shop and café.
Along with these new additions and exterior renovations, the interior of the Mauritshuis has been faithfully restored and renewed during the process.
Cross sections of the Mauritshuis and the new underground foyer that links the city palace to the Royal Dutch Shell Wing premises opposite at Plein 26. The architects for the Mauritshuis project are the Amsterdam-based practice, Hans van Heeswijk Architects. © Hans van Heeswijk Architects.
Johannes Vermeer (1632–1675), Girl with a Pearl Earring, c. 1665. Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis, The Hague.
Exhibitions at The Mauritshuis
The first exhibition will simply be called Mauritshuis - The Building and will focus on the history of the building and the permanent collection.
Following the opening exhibition, the Mauritshuis will play host to 30 masterpieces from the famed Frick Collection in New York beginning February 2015.
For the first time in history, Highlights from the Frick Collection will exhibit masterpieces from the 13th to 19th centuries, including works by Cimabue, Van Eyck, Memling, Liotard and Gainsborough, outside the US.
› The musuem will be open to the public on June 27 (the opening) from 8pm to 12am.
› The Mauritshuis will also be open on Mondays until November.